PDA

View Full Version : HELP: when trying to install an ATI driver it failed and...

FunkyFlyKneeGrow
12-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi.

Just so you know - I'm fairly new to *nix. I've been goofing around with Knoppix since 3.3; and now I have Knoppix 3.6, Kanotix and XP peacefully installed in the same machine. However, the extent of my Linux knowledge is limited to: installing a driver or two, screwing with various config files, dozens of HD installs, editing the lilo lists, installing a couple of apps (like Firefox), and other simple stuff. So, be kind - I don't know s**t when it comes down to it... ;)

Currently I have a HD install of Knoppix 3.6 on one of my partitions, and up until a little while ago it was working f-ing perfectly. But no, I had to go and try to 'upgrade' the video driver in the hopes of getting the second monitor in my dual monitor setup to work. However, instead of upgrading it I've broken the f-ing thing...

The method I used to change the driver was to download and run that 'install-radeon-debian.sh' script. As the script was runnning it seemed as though it was working fine - but toward the end it puked and spit out a message I didn't understand (nor did I write it down, sorry...).

Now, some/most of the OS is working fine, because everything seems to work from the <alt> <ctrl> <F1> prompt (sorry, not sure of the actual name of that screen/mode). Anyway, when trying to get from the <alt> <ctrl> <F1> prompt back to the GUI it just shows me a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the top-left corner.

So, is there a (simple) way to UNDO whatever I did; like roll some history-thing back one step? Or, perhaps reinstall whatever driver was originally in place?

Anyone?

Thanks for looking, and thanks to everyone who participates in these forums.

FunkyFlyKneeGrow
12-17-2004, 06:21 PM
No one eh... ok, I guess I'll have to re-install Knoppix to the harddrive.