PDA

View Full Version : Hot to get english desktop with danish keyboard? (bug?)

Stig
03-31-2003, 06:09 PM
I'm trying to get Knoppix 3.2 (beta 2003-03-28) to boot in english language and with danish keyboard support, but I cannot succeed. I used to do it in Knoppix 3.1 (beta 2003-01-20) using the following code in the boot-floppy setup:

APPEND lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

I've tried the same in 3.2, and also using lang=us instead of lang=en, but in both cases I end up with a german desktop(?!). Danish keyboard works fine however.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

The CD-image is
KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-28-EN.iso
and I made my boot-floppy with the command
rawrite2 -f boot-en.img -d A

With default settings on floppy I start up an english desktop.

Stig.
[/b]

rickenbacherus
04-01-2003, 04:05 AM
APPEND lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

Stig.
[/b]

You boot with the APPEND command line first? Never tried that before. Did you try:
boot: knoppix lang=us keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

Stig
04-01-2003, 07:53 PM

You boot with the APPEND command line first?

No, its the second line. The first three lines in SYSLINUX.CFG are:

DEFAULT vmlinuz
BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 300

Did you try:
boot: knoppix lang=us keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

You mean with lang=us instead of lang=en? Yes I tried that. Same result.

Stig.

rickenbacherus
04-01-2003, 11:16 PM
You mean with lang=us instead of lang=en? Yes I tried that. Same result.

Stig.

DOH! Obviously had I read your first post I would have seen that you had tried that. sorry! :oops:

Here is a link to a post about the same thing. Hopefully these instructions will get you fixed up. Once you get your desktop switched just make sure that your log in manager (in the control center) is set to save the current desktop. It might be easiest for you to boot the cd, check out the 'control center' so that you are familiar with it then boot to your installation to make the changes. Post back if necessary.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1421

Stig
04-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi "rickenbacherus"

Here is a link to a post about the same thing. Hopefully these instructions will get you fixed up.

You're refering to your post at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6322#6322 ?

Well, I got to the step where I have to enter a password to go in "Administrator Mode". Eh, whats my password? I've newer been asked to choose a password?

Well, I problably have to tell which kind of Linux/Knoppix user I am. A complete newbie :lol:

I've been trying Knoppix 3.1 briefly before (ie. 2-3 boots just looking around), and at that time I easily sat it up to boot as I wanted, only by changing the first APPEND-line on my boot-floopy. Trying the same setup with Knoppix 3.2 boot-floopy doesn't seem to work. To change settings in the Control Center I apparently have to create a root-account somehow (or find the password, the account is there problably already?), and then find out how to save my configuration on the HD, right?

Maybe your answer is "yes, and go and read the documention". And in that case its a fine answer... But since I've newer created a root-acount, newer been in the Control Center before and don't know how to save settings on my HD, I can't imagine my problems is caused by I've accidently changed some setting somewhere. I'm just saying this because I'm unsure if you think I've changed some setup somewhere by accident?

rickenbacherus
04-02-2003, 10:50 PM
OK - let me see if I understand correctly. You are booting Knoppix from the bootable cd BUT you either cannot boot from cd on your machine so you use the floppy OR you wanted to customize your boot (to include your language & keyboard preferences)so you use a floppy.

You HAVE NOT installed Knoppix to your hard drive correct? If so- here is what the FAQ says about setting passwords.http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing

You should be able to boot
knoppix lang=us
and after it has booted change the keyboard to Danish in the control center. peripherals>keyboard.

If you HAVE installed to your hard drive you would have entered a password when you installed.

If I am totally confused post back and straighten me out eh?

Stig
04-02-2003, 11:08 PM
OK - let me see if I understand correctly. You are booting Knoppix from the bootable cd BUT you either cannot boot from cd on your machine so you use the floppy OR you wanted to customize your boot (to include your language & keyboard preferences)so you use a floppy.

Yes. I guess both somehow :-) I couldn't get it to boot directly from the CD, but I wanted to change the default settings anyway... I have NOT installed Knoppix on my HD.

You HAVE NOT installed Knoppix to your hard drive correct? If so- here is what the FAQ says about setting passwords.http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing

You should be able to boot
knoppix lang=us
and after it has booted change the keyboard to Danish in the control center. peripherals>keyboard.

It's getting late. I have a look at this tomorrow. But sounds promising...

If I am totally confused post back and straighten me out eh?

I think we are "on track" (if you can say so in english). Thanks a lot for your patience and help so far :)

Stig.

Stig
04-06-2003, 01:57 PM

I found out why the SYSLINUX.CFG changes on my boot-floppy didn't work. It seems the order of codes in the APPEND-line mathers.

Changing from

to

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

solved my problem. English desktop combined with danish keyboard works with above APPEND-line setup on my boot-floppy.

I'm still gonna try playing around saving more detailed settings on my HD one of the comming days, so thanks for the directions.