PDA

View Full Version : help me please with my usb modem

badboy4life
12-17-2004, 03:22 AM
hi guys i have never used linux in my life till yesterday with the livecd of knoppix but i couldnt get on the net :(
i been reading all about this in threads but all it does is confuse me more

here is what i done i downloaded the live cd and ran it without a partion on the hard drive so i cant save any data i really want to be able to connect to the net it would be nice i have a alcatel usb modem the green model is it possible to connect to the net without having the operating system installed on a partition on the drive? if so whats the easiest way please as all the other threads are too confusing :(

thanks in advance by the way its pppoa 2mbit / 256 cheers guys and if ive posted this in the wrong place im sorry but im new here :P

badboy4life
12-17-2004, 03:28 AM
also whilst im on this subject is there any other livecds that have built in alcatel usb support?

javeriano01
12-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Hello Dude

I have the exact same problem the thing is as far as I know that you must be logged as root to run the DHCP thingy and you aren't by default, you're logged as a user called knoppix and kde doesn't allow you to log off and again asroot you can only access root through console but that won't help there is a file that can be modified to let you login as root and it is in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc however I haven't been able to boot with this version of my file I think this is the way to go if you find a solution I'd really appreciate your help cause I'm going nuts here

drb
12-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Kanotix has support for Alcatel Speedtouch - In the KDE menu you can select login via PPPoATM or PPPoE. I started using Kanotix instead of Knoppix because of the Speedtouch support. Latest version is Kanotix BH X Fix 2.

drb

badboy4life
12-25-2004, 11:35 AM
kanotix is what helped me but i get another problem now i can logon to the net it asks me if i want to keep these settings on next reboot but it doesnt keep my username or password for my net so i end up doing this all again which is a bit of a pain but least it works now :D i have installed it to a partition and is running sweet :D