PDA

View Full Version : xfree disaster!!!

tonycooles
12-17-2004, 01:31 PM
I was installing the drivers for ati radeon 9600 i got the rpm i made alien and i get deb ok i install it and after the scripts make and make_install i run the configure program but what i get after answer 1000 questions is a desktop in 640x480 24bit color

when i try to change the desktop says this:

please update to version 4.3 or greater

i thought knoppix 3.7 already had a greater one

well my problem is that im looking how to upgrade with google but i get nothing clear

anyway knows the simplest way possible? is awful to surf the net and use the computer in such resolution

Thanks in advance

baldyeti
12-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Start with restoring a working X config. Boot from the knoppix CD. Assuming your hd install is on /dev/hdaN:
mount /mnt/hdaN
cd /mnt/hdaN/etc/X11
cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.ati
cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 .
then reboot to your hd install. You'll need to compare and merge the two versions of the config file to get one which uses your new driver, at a higher resolution...

PS: before you do that, check if the ATI install script saved a copy of XF86Config-4 before generating its own. You then wouldn't need to boot from cdrom but could simply restore that one...

tonycooles
12-17-2004, 07:06 PM
there is 2 problems:

if i start with the knoppix cd i cant access to the root console, and if i write it in a normal console it says
my hda is already mounted and have no permission to make that cp command

the second problem is that after try that i made whereis XF86Config or the same .ati and there is not such files in my hd :oops:

:(((

anyway ive been trying to install the last xfree version but without luck, everysingle source i try seems to be not working, someone knows a good source site that for sure has the packages?

Thanks in advance