PDA

View Full Version : Simple DNS question...

RandomGoon
12-17-2004, 07:16 PM
I've been away from my Knoppix disks for a while and just recently, after getting a new wireless gateway/router, set up a home network. Now I've hardened my network to the best of my abilities to include subnetting the thing down to a few addresses. I connect to the 'net via an external cable modem which is supplied with multiple DNS server addresses. Not an issue on all the M$ boxen but when I want to use Knoppix (or one of its other sundry varients) I need to set up the network for my config; I am not using DHCP but I know my scheme, I set the damned thing up after all. What I need to know is how, in the network config (GUI) tool how to specify multiple DNS servers? Is there a spacer (such as a comma, semi-colon, etc.) between addresses or merely a space between the last octet of the preceding address and the first of the following?

Oh, and in case at this point anyone's wondering, having just the one DNS address works fine, I just want to be thorough.

Thanks in advance,

'Goon

pureone
12-18-2004, 01:30 AM
i guess you could just put a , after every name server(dont know ive never tryed).my set up is differnt i sent the dns from knoppix as my router and only use that, my router is told were the other name servers are. theres 4 in there 2 from my isp and 2 from around the world somewere. you could also use netconfig if its on knoppix its a kinda gui console based config program. it allows primary and secondary dns servers.

RandomGoon
12-18-2004, 05:59 AM
I've turned off all automatic settings for my router; I manually configure my network. I've used netconfig and when it asks for the DNS address it's only one line a single time. It's no big deal as of yet but I do want to eventually get all 3 servers in the config.

WAN port on the router gets it addressing from DHCP from my ISP. My LAN config is completely manual, i.e. static addressing all around.

Again, thanks in advance,

'Goon