PDA

View Full Version : Kanotix BHX DVD Edition available

mzilikazi
12-17-2004, 11:52 PM
http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=4443

Enjoy! :)

Harry Kuhman
12-18-2004, 12:31 AM
A couple of quick observations: It sems to be only available for purchase but not for download. And while it's stated to be a DVD release and a list of packages is available, no actual mention of the size is given (other than the statement that there is a lot more room left). So short of trying to do the math from the packages listed, there doesn't seem to be any indication of how much of the DVD is actually used.

It is also said to be based on Kanotix BHX, no mention of the latest fixed version of Kanotix BHX.

mzilikazi
12-18-2004, 07:35 PM
A couple of quick observations: It sems to be only available for purchase but not for download.

That's correct the DVD is not available for download.

And while it's stated to be a DVD release and a list of packages is available, no actual mention of the size is given (other than the statement that there is a lot more room left). So short of trying to do the math from the packages listed, there doesn't seem to be any indication of how much of the DVD is actually used.

The uncompressed DVD is currently about 5.6G, too large to use squashfs for compression so it is done with cloop instead. Cloop will compress 6G down to 2G - just within iso9660 limitations. This leaves us the rest of the DVD for whatever we wish to put on it.

Ideas:

1) You could easily implement something like grow-knoppix and add your own content to the DVD

2) Rebuild the .iso yourself with growisofs and simply append your own additions to the existing filesystem. (growisofs is currently implemented with the -dvd-compat option which closes the disc and does not allow for multi-session dvd but does offer the most compatibility with most dvd drives.

3) Add the xorg.iso to the DVD which contains all the .debs necessary for an xorg Xserver installation. These packages have been compiled for Debian SID from Ubuntu sources. They ARE NOT the same as the Ubuntu .debs

4) Add the BHX cd .iso

5) Add an apt-cdrom repository although there is already SO much software on the disc I'm unsure what more to add! Additionally I have not tested the feesibility of this option yet but I should think it would work.

It is also said to be based on Kanotix BHX, no mention of the latest fixed version of Kanotix BHX.

It's based on BHX-Fix2 of course. :)

The package list is anything but static. I would be glad to remove software in favor of something else BUT - no source please! I have no desire to compile alot of software. Only .debs will be used except for certain exceptions (Nvu for example) which is completely self contained.

There are ALOT of things that can be done with this DVD. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

lilsirecho
12-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Does this DVDhave usb support?

Does this DVD have USB audio support on a separate channel with mixer to drive external USB audio devices such as the SIIG USBSOUNDWAVE OPTICAL 5.1 device among others?