PDA

View Full Version : how to instal canon i250 driver on knoppix

chocuabo
12-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Hello,

I'm having troubles to instal my canon i250 printer on a knoppix linux. I found the driver for Red Hat 9.0 but it seems it doesn't work on knoppix due to a problem related to CUPS.

I'm not a linux expert, so... can anybody give me easy-to-follow advice on this?

Thanks,
Túpac.

eon
12-21-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure why you are trying to use a driver from Red Hat?
You didn't say what version of knoppix you are running but to install a printer
go to the kmenu, settings, and click Printing Manager.
From the Printing Manager you can choose to install a new printer
a wizard will guide you though the set up of your printer.
If you run into problems post the errors and anything else that happens.
Good luck!

chocuabo
12-22-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm using a knoppix 3.0 and have already tried the printing manager. The thing is the i250 canon printer is not one of the listed printers. So I had to search on the internet for the drivers and found them but, as I said, they do not work because I guess they are made for Red Hat.

Any other clue? Thanks for your help.

eon
12-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Well I don't know if it will work for this situation. You could use alien to convert
the rpm to a deb package and then install the driver using dpkg.

Go here: http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/ to read about alien.
I have used alien to convert and install some software and as I said I don't know
if it will work for your driver but it might.

The basic steps are at the command line ( a terminal window) alien -d /home/myname/thepackageIwanttoconvert
Of course you have to use the actual file names you have. if the driver converts then you do dpkg -i "myconvertedpackage"

The easier way might be to just install a later version of knoppix or debian testing, but that's your call.

Good Luck! Let me/this commmunity know if it works