PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix Problems.

Presently42
12-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Alright. I have downloaded Knoppix (First version 3.4 via BitTorrent, now 3.7 from a German University on th Knoppix.org web-page (the first link) via ftp.). The file (1) is a .iso. Which is what I want, yes? Right. I burn it to a CD using Ahead Nero Express (came with the Burner) in the El Torrito fashion. It asks me for a diskette (which I acutally had to start using with the boot.img thingy (which is a story unto itself). However, later on, I no longer needed this diskette: It booted from the CD all by itself. (The BIOS being some thing to do with Award).

I get to the knoppix screen: It says version 3.4. Auf Deutsche. Which means I can only barely understand it.

Now, it gives me the boot option. I press enter: It goes to a black screen with the Penguin. It proceed to say some thing like DMA enabled three times for three different things.

Then:

"Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit."

Well, I re-downloaded, re-burned, re did with knoppix nodma: Still no go.

What now?

Please, be kind Technically: I'm only starting to get used to the Language (which means, essentially, I know very little indeed.)

Thank you for your Co-Operation.

Presently42
12-18-2004, 06:48 AM
After having used the cheatcode nodma and having it still do the exact same thing, I tried knoppix testcd (maybe the CD is corrupt, I figure). Well, it did the exact same thing it always does.

So: I think that it isn't recognising my commands.

Now what?

Presently42
12-18-2004, 08:55 AM
The version of Knoppix that I downloaded is version 3.7. Every tiem I try to run it, it says version 3.4.

When I try to switch to kernel 2.6, it says that linux36 (or some thing VERY similar to that) can't be found.

The only thing that seems to do SOME THING is failsafe.

I think that I checked the MD5 sums: I think that they are OK. I used a programme md5.exe and I'm not quite sure A: How to work it and B: If I did get it to: If I did it properly.

Alright. I'm getting mad now.

I can't even partition my Hard-Disk: It won't give me the Wizard!

Using (presently) Windows 2000 Professional.

shah
12-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I burn it to a CD using Ahead Nero Express (came with the Burner) in the El Torrito fashion. It asks me for a diskette (which I acutally had to start using with the boot.img thingy (which is a story unto itself).

This is the wrong way to burn an iso image. Offcause you can boot because you burn that boot.img from floppy...that why you get different version. You can't use El Torrito option, you only need to select burn image.
Read here on how to burn iso using nero : http://trb.org/publications/burning_iso.html
This is the captured image from that site:
http://trb.org/publications/burning_iso_files/iso_nero.jpg

or get BurnCDCC : http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlburncdcc.html

:D :D

eco2geek
12-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Since the Docs section is down: There's a Linux distro named Xandros. While that's neither here nor there, they have a good page on how to verify MD5 checksums and burn an ISO (their ISO, but it applies equally well to Knoppix) with Nero Express here (http://www.xandros.com/products/home/howtoburn.html).

First, make sure you've downloaded the correct files.
The Knoppix ISO that defaults to English (EN): ftp://ftp.orst.edu/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
The MD5 checksum: ftp://ftp.orst.edu/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-DE.iso.md5
(It's an ASCII text file, which means you should open it using Windows Notepad.)

Important things to note about the Xandros instructions:
You have to select "Burn image to disk" in Nero Express. If Nero asks you for a floppy, you're doing it wrong.
The 4x speed Xandros recommends is ridiculously slow. 32x seems to work well for me. Be sure you're using good CD media (i.e. not some no-name brand).
After you're done, if you've got Autorun enabled in Windows, a browser window should pop up with the Knoppix "Readme" file when you load the CD in your drive. That's one way to know you've burned it correctly. Another way to know is that you should be able to browse the files and folders on the CD in Windows Explorer.

After you've verified that you've burned the CD correctly, you'll have to set your BIOS to boot from your CD-ROM. (If you can't set your computer's BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive, you can download a utility called Smart BootManager that will easily create a bootable floppy diskette that will allow you to boot from your CD-ROM.)

The "EN" version of Knoppix will boot into English without your having to do anything. In order to use the 2.6 kernel, you'll have to type "knoppix26" at the "boot:" prompt.

Presently42
12-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Well: Due to your people's valuable Insights, I now have Knoppix on Live CD!

Now then.

I would like the Internet to be available on my shiny, new Knoppix. I went to my ISP (Sympatico High Speed) and _finally_ got access manager for Linux. It came in 5 files: Here is it Link.

http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=99&content_id=1138

The question is:

How the devil do I do all of that? I tired to stick the first file they mention in to /usr/local/sbin (there wasn't a bin) but it didn't give me the option of putting it there. I have it presently on my Desktop.

Thank you Kindly.

shah
12-19-2004, 12:25 AM
Try use knoppix built-in pppoe first.

At the bottom left of your taskbar you will see knoppix penguin icon, click that and choose to configure your networkcard.
Don't choose DHCP broadcast, set manually your ip(ex: 192.168.0.2), dns(given to you by isp), gateway (you can leave this blank)...etc. You can use dhcp broadcast if you are using router, and the router is set to broadcast dhcp.

After you are done with netcard config, run pppoe config...it will ask your account name and password.

:D :D

firebyrd10
12-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Don't think it will work, it seems the rpogram needs to put something in /etc which is on the cd, and is not usuable.

You could do a remaster and try.

Harry Kuhman
12-19-2004, 12:56 AM
....I would like the Internet to be available on my shiny, new Knoppix. I went to my ISP (Sympatico High Speed) and _finally_ got access manager for Linux. It came in 5 files.....
It is not quite clear to me what type of internet connection you have, but since it has high speed in it's name, if you have either DSL or cable with an ethernet connection (as opposed to those damn USB connections), then I would highly recommend that you get one of the now very inexpensive DSL/cable routers. With one of these devices you connect the router to the modem via ethernet, and then you can plug one or more computers into the router. The router now takes care of any connection needed to the ISP (such as PPPoE for DSL users), and the computers need no special software at all beyond the normal TCP/IP stack. In such a system Knoppix should just boot up and be on the Internet automatically, with no special action taken on the part of the user. You also have a hardware firewall for greater protection, and the basic groundwork for a network (when you are ready to have more than one computer, or when a friend brings over their laptop). These things are often $10 U.S. or less after rebates, and will solve your problem.

By the way, it sounds like you downloaded the German version of Knoppix (with de at the end of the name), you might want to get a copy of the English version (with en at the end of the name). And always download and check the md5 sum when you download a Knoppix iso file.

Presently42
12-19-2004, 02:23 AM
I just want to let you know that you are all very helpful: I wan't expecting such fast and helpful answers.

Truly, much Appreciated.

Now then: I'm going to try once more to follow the Instruction that Sympatico give. Yes, I have High Speed DSL.

If that doesn't work, I shall try the Network Card Config. method. (By the bye: By "run pppoe config", I assume you mean run the file pppoe from Sympatico? Do tell.)

Thank you Kindly.

firebyrd10
12-19-2004, 03:00 AM
Knoppix has its own pppoe program.

Click the little pengiun icon -> Network/Internet -> ADSL/PPPOE configuration

Presently42
12-19-2004, 04:02 AM
Well, I tried both methods (th Sympatico and the one mentioned)...
and they both didn't work.

I think that I simply do not know all of the Information that they want. I can get it: I simply do not know what it is.

If some one could help me step-by-step, though it would be long: It would be much appreciated.

Let me give you some details:

I use Sympatcio High Speed DSL.
Each time I connect, a Programme, Access Manager, does it for me. The IP is determined by this. The connection number (called) I do not know: It is given under Services as bas2-montreal02. I use an ethernet card: 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX). There is also a Efficient Networkds Enternet P. P. P. o. E. Adapter. Apparently, DHCP is enabled. The gateway seems to be the IP which chnages every time I connect. Erm, I've a primary and secondary DNS number. What else can I tell you to Assist?

Thank you Very Kindly Indeed.

firebyrd10
12-19-2004, 06:35 AM
How did the knoppix method fail, did the modem coonect? Or did the login fail?

If it conected then try running netcardconfig afterwards.

Presently42
12-19-2004, 07:01 AM
I do not believe that it connected: When I tried to g oto Google, it wouldn't work. I tried other web-pages. Same deal.

So, I did come thing wrong.

Now, though I use a Modem, I have the Ethernet Card. So, I'm not acutally going through just the Moden. How do I make Knoppix detect and use my Ethernet Card?

Also, as I said, I do not have a telephone number to dial to access the Internet.

Fianlly, How can I get it to tell me if it is Connected or not with out having to open a Browser?

Thank you.

firebyrd10
12-19-2004, 08:31 AM
I do not believe that it connected: When I tried to g oto Google, it wouldn't work. I tried other web-pages. Same deal.

So, I did come thing wrong.

Now, though I use a Modem, I have the Ethernet Card. So, I'm not acutally going through just the Moden. How do I make Knoppix detect and use my Ethernet Card?

Also, as I said, I do not have a telephone number to dial to access the Internet.

Fianlly, How can I get it to tell me if it is Connected or not with out having to open a Browser?

Thank you.

KNoppix should try automaticly to use the ethernet card.

Try the knoppix pppoe again but after wards run netcardconfig.
That should try and get an IP if your connected.

shah
12-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Condition that can happen if connection cannot established:
1) Networkcard not detected........when you run netcard configuration (on knoppix menu), an error message will appear:
networkcard not detected or something.
2) Access concentration......when you run knoppix pppoe configuration (on knoppix menu), an error message will appear:
access concentration not found or something.

If you get error one or both.........your connection is failed.
If you don't get any error message, your connection is okay.....but you provided with wrong info.

I have read the sympatico manual on how to setup connection. There is nothing special need to be added, it's like other pppoe setup. You don't need sympatico pppoe utility.......you can use knoppix pppoe.

Step by step to setup your connection:
Go to bottom left, knoppix icon:

1)Networkcard configuration:
a)Click Network/Internet------>Network card configuration
b)Click no when asked if you want to use DHCP broadcast.
c)enter your netcard ip : 192.168.0.2
d)gateway : leave blank
e)broadcast ip : 192.168.0.255
f)DNS : (enter the dns provided by sympatico; some isp don't need this) Try this :198.235.216.130 and 198.235.216.131 or 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

If above doesn't work......maybe your isp will assign you with ip. Choose to use DHCP broadcast.

2)PPPOE configuration
a)Click Network/Internet------>ADSL/PPPOE
b)Enter your username and password

Another way is.....run this command in your ms windows: ipconfig /all
Post it here, we will try to figure it out.

Good luck.
:D

firebyrd10
12-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Condition that can happen if connection cannot established:
1) Networkcard not detected........when you run netcard configuration (on knoppix menu), an error message will appear:
networkcard not detected or something.
2) Access concentration......when you run knoppix pppoe configuration (on knoppix menu), an error message will appear:
access concentration not found or something.

If you get error one or both.........your connection is failed.
If you don't get any error message, your connection is okay.....but you provided with wrong info.

I have read the sympatico manual on how to setup connection. There is nothing special need to be added, it's like other pppoe setup. You don't need sympatico pppoe utility.......you can use knoppix pppoe.

Step by step to setup your connection:
Go to bottom left, knoppix icon:

1)Networkcard configuration:
a)Click Network/Internet------>Network card configuration
b)Click no when asked if you want to use DHCP broadcast.
c)enter your netcard ip : 192.168.0.2
d)gateway : leave blank
e)broadcast ip : 192.168.0.255
f)DNS : (enter the dns provided by sympatico; some isp don't need this) Try this :198.235.216.130 and 198.235.216.131 or 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

If above doesn't work......maybe your isp will assign you with ip. Choose to use DHCP broadcast.

2)PPPOE configuration
a)Click Network/Internet------>ADSL/PPPOE
b)Enter your username and password

Another way is.....run this command in your ms windows: ipconfig /all
Post it here, we will try to figure it out.

Good luck.
:D

Though I would recommend DCHP first.

Presently42
12-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure how: But it Works.

I followed the Instructions given. And, where there were things not listed in the Instructions, I chose what I considered to be the Best Choice.

This Message comes from Mozilla in Linux.

Yay.

Thank you all for your Kind Assistance. Much appreciated it is.

Good-day, for now.

David Litwin.

firebyrd10
12-20-2004, 01:18 AM
The reason it didn't work is because the modem connected but never requested an IP address, therefore you couldn't get on the internet.

Presently42
12-20-2004, 01:40 AM
That's interesting. I left the IP address Blank. Maybe providing one confused it as well.

Question:

Is there a Fire Wall that is Currently Protecting me? I haven't downloaded one. I'm hoping that Knoppix has one.?

Greetings.

O: How do I change my Mouse Pointer? It's... not the most aesthetically pleasing thing on Earth....

firebyrd10
12-20-2004, 04:05 AM
That's interesting. I left the IP address Blank. Maybe providing one confused it as well.

Question:

Is there a Fire Wall that is Currently Protecting me? I haven't downloaded one. I'm hoping that Knoppix has one.?

Greetings.

O: How do I change my Mouse Pointer? It's... not the most aesthetically pleasing thing on Earth....

Knoppix has no firewall, but being the way linux is you don't have to worry, and there is noway crackers could damage the cd.

Presently42
12-20-2004, 05:37 AM
Thank you. That's what I figured: That's why I wasn't panicking.

I'm really enjoying Knoppix. I'm very glad that I made the Decision to try it out.

One day, I'll have to partition the Hard-Drive and put a Linux on it. But, that's another day.

The question I have now is this:

I recently figured out how to access my Hard-Drive from Knoppix. (I'm currently listening to Music from it). Can I save Files to that Hard-Drive? If so, How?

Also, how do I become the Root User in lieu of user knoppix? It gets tiring after a while of getting the root messages that I can't do such and such a thing.

Thank you Kindly.

firebyrd10
12-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Depends on the type of partition, if its NTFS (windows XP) then you need to try Captive NTFS in the KNOPPIX menu.

If other then just right-click actions -> change read/write mode.

To become root just type

su
or
sudo to become root for one command.

Presently42
12-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Firstly, my Hard-drive isn't partitioned yet. It is still completely devoted to Windows 2000.

Secondly, what does "If other then just right-click actions -> change read/write mode." mean?

Thirdly: What does "To become root just type

su
or
sudo to become root for one command." mean?

I'm sorry if any of this is Intuitively Obviouse (to quote); I'm not well experienced in Linux. Yet.

Lastly, my mouse has a Thumb-Button which I use to go back (in, say, a web-browser). Currently, I can't do that. How do I configure it to do so?

Thank you Kindly.

firebyrd10
12-20-2004, 07:21 AM
Firstly, my Hard-drive isn't partitioned yet. It is still completely devoted to Windows 2000.

Secondly, what does "If other then just right-click actions -> change read/write mode." mean?

Thirdly: What does "To become root just type

su
or
sudo to become root for one command." mean?

I'm sorry if any of this is Intuitively Obviouse (to quote); I'm not well experienced in Linux. Yet.

Lastly, my mouse has a Thumb-Button which I use to go back (in, say, a web-browser). Currently, I can't do that. How do I configure it to do so?

Thank you Kindly.

When in windows, right-click and go to properties, If the filesystem says anything other then ntfs then while in knoppix, right-click the corresponding drive and follow the instructions.

Those commands I gave you to become root are entered into a console.

If you need to use something that needs a root password, you need to set one up first.

type
su
passwd
into a console and set one up.

Presently42
12-20-2004, 07:37 AM
I clicked on the Terminal Program button (next to web-browser next to Mozilla). Then, I typed su. It said I was now root. But, when I went to type passwd (and then a password), it said unknown.

Here is the Attempt:

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# passwd [password]
passwd: Unknown user [password]
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# passwd[password]
bash: passwd[password]: command not found
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

What did I do wrong?

Also, I right-clicked in Knoppix on the Hard-Drive icon on the dektop and chose change read / write (or what ever it is). It did mention ntfs.

Thank you.

eco2geek
12-20-2004, 09:09 AM
First off, you don't need to set a root password for anything you do at a console, because, as you've noticed, you can type "su" in a console window and become root with no password (it's a Knoppix feature). You only need to set a root password if you're going to use a KDE- or X-based program that asks you for a root password, such as running QTParted (a hard disk partitioning program).

So, just for fun, get a console and type "man passwd" and see if you can figure out what you did wrong. "man" is short for "manual", and most Linux commands (and some GUI-based programs) have "man" pages available.

To set the root password, go to a console and type:

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# passwd

(You have to either supply the name of the user after the "passwd" command, or leave it blank and it assumes the current user.) Knoppix responds:

Enter new UNIX password: <enter your password>

(You won't see any output. This is a security feature.)

Retype new UNIX password: <retype your password>
passwd: password updated successfully

To set a password for the "Knoppix" user, as root, type passwd knoppix and follow the prompts.

If your Win2K partition is formatted as NTFS, do not mount it in read/write mode and do not try writing to it. Corruption could result. As mentioned above, you'd want to install and use the Captive NTFS drivers for that (and that's another mini-tutorial!).

Presently42
12-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Next problem:

How do I save my Knoppix settings so that I don't have to re-set every thing (and, can I get the Firefox browser I downloadad to stay and with all of the modifications that I made to it?)

Also, how do I write and read off of a Floppy Diskette?

Yahoo.

eco2geek
12-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Knoppix contains scripts (which you can access from the Knoppix menu) for saving your configuration settings (e.g. X setup, passwords, etc. -- the config files you'd find in /etc) and for saving a "persistent home" (i.e. the /home/knoppix directory, which would include your Firefox browser).

The easiest way to do that, if all you've got is an NTFS partition, is to use a USB key/thumbdrive. Now the problem with that is, if you're using the 2.6.9 kernel, a new USB filesystem driver's been implemented, but the Knoppix scripts haven't been rewritten to take the new filesystem into account. Meaning, your USB key/thumbdrive won't show up as a place to save your persistent home or configuration to.

(Using kernel 2.4, your USB key = /dev/sda1; using kernel 2.6.9, your USB key = /dev/uba1.)

The good news is, you can run the 2.4 kernel, save your configs and your persistent home on your USB key/thumbdrive, and then use them with the 2.6.9 kernel with no problem.

You can also save your configuration to a floppy (it's very small).

Anyway. Choose "Knoppix menu > Configure > Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory" or "Knoppix menu > Configure > Save KNOPPIX configuration" to do either one. Do not try to save them on an NTFS partition.

As far as accessing a floppy goes: Put the floppy in the drive and click on the floppy icon on the desktop. Knoppix has something called an automounter that will, er, automatically mount the floppy if there's one in the drive. It'll show up as /mnt/floppy in Konqueror (the file browser).

firebyrd10
12-21-2004, 02:04 AM
Opps I ment to type "needs a root password".

My Bad.

It was late. :lol:

Presently42
12-26-2004, 10:09 PM
I've not really had the Time (of late) To utilise Knoppix much. However, I'm Presently on Vacation: Much more Time have I in which to Play Around with it.

So: I have (yet) another Question to pose to You:

How do I partition my NTFS Hard-Drive (with out losing any information that is stored upon it?) Is this soem thing done better on Window or Linux? Can I do it at all? or am I to live with Linux on Live-C. D. for the rest of my days with this Computer?

Thank you.

Presently42
01-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Now that I have decided that I like Linux, I wish to be able to use it More. To do this, I want to Partition my Hard-Drive. It makes it a lot easier to use Linux, then, in lieu of Windows (as opposed to what I do now: Use it for Fun).

Therefore: I wish to know how to Partition my Hard-Drive. It is an NTFS Hard-Drive (or, how so ever I should term it). I read some where that if it was not originally Partition (and mine Isn't) then one can not do it after wards with out deleting all of the Files contained there upon. A: Is this true? and B: If not, How do I go about doing this?

Thank you Kindly in Advance. And, my Apologies for takign so long to Respond: I've been busy watching The Lord of the Rings (I recently Aquired the Extended Versions of all Three (Boxed set)).

Good-day.

horse
01-06-2005, 03:06 PM
there are various options,

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based_HowTo
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Basic_Poor_Mans

Which one is best for you i'm not sure.

To re-partition your hard drive use QtParted which works with NTFS discs
I am just about to do a HD install myself, so will need to re-partition too

hth
horse

rrfish72
01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
A. Yes you can resize an existing NTFS partition nondestructivly. The tools provided by linux can do this - qtparted. I have achieved this about 5 times without any data loss. I did back up pretty much everything just in case.

Presently42
02-23-2005, 05:44 AM
This is if any one can help me with Installing Debian. If not, read no further: It shall waste your Time.

Having liked what I saw in Knoppix (and knowing that it was based on Debian (not to mention the fact that some one else recommended it to me), I decided to partition the Hard-Drive (done succesfully) and install Debian. I got the NONUS binary 1 BitTorrent wise. For some reason, it won't boot from the C. D. I'm going to try to re-burn it: I may have made a large mistake.

If that doesn't work, I'll ask for more help.

Thank you.