PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man Installation won't boot on very old Notebook?

spunti
12-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Hello friends,
I've got a very old notebook (P1, 100MHz, 32 MB RAM, 640x480 pixels, no CD-ROM and ethernet works only with Win98) and want to get Knoppix on it.

I read of a poor man installation (of Knoppix3.2) whereas I need just to make a bootdisk with makefloppy and copying the KNOPPIX-file into c:\KNOPPIX\ (on Fat32 of my Win98).
I did it and boot from the floppy. "vmlinuz" is loaded, and also "miniroot.gz" but then "Ready" is printed and nothing happens.
He doesn't even try to read from the harddisc, there is no such sound.

I tried a lot of bootparameter, e.g. "knoppix vga=normal screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60 noapic noagp noapm nodma nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi nousb" but it doesn't help.

Does anyone know what my problem could be and what to do here?
(I read that with Knoppix 3.4 or higher I can copy the iso-file to the harddisk and there is a new bootparameter called "bootfrom". Perhaps I should try this?)

thanks
spunti

spunti
12-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Now I tried with Knopix37.iso and the two bootdisks (for Knoppix3.6 which should work, too).
I started with "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix/Knoppix.iso" but I get the error-message: "can'd find Knoppix filesystem".
"DMA ist set on for hda1" is printed before the error occurs, so he must have found my harddisk.
I even tried with startparameter "nodma", doesn't help.

By the way I don't know whether using capital letters in "/Knoppix/Knoppix.iso" or not (because I copied it with Win98).

spunti

OErjan
12-19-2004, 06:07 PM
try the line below. when you see the boot: line

knoppix26 nodma noscsi atapicd nosmp noagp nousb noacpi
that is what i use on my p1 laptop (and sbmgr to boot the cd )

spunti
12-19-2004, 07:10 PM
I cannot boot knoppix26 because there are no boot-floppydisks for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.
I tried the other parameters (except atapicd because I've no CD-ROM, only the image on my Fat32-harddisc) and I can boot but the Knoppix-Image cannot be found:-(

spunti

j.drake
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
I cannot boot knoppix26 because there are no boot-floppydisks for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.
I tried the other parameters (except atapicd because I've no CD-ROM, only the image on my Fat32-harddisc) and I can boot but the Knoppix-Image cannot be found:-(

spunti

You don't need floppy disks. You can use the boot CD. Look in the documentation tab (currently down for maintenance, or I'd give y0ou the specific link), there should be a link for the poor man's install for versions 3.4 and later. In it are two variations. The basic PMI boots from the CD. The WinPartition boots from the NTFS partition.

jd

OErjan
12-20-2004, 06:01 PM
j.drake: he has a OLD computer, he might try sbmgr (smart boot mamager) it can be used from a floppy and should boot the CD.