PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help w/ printer

theehman
12-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi eveyone! I just installed Knoppix on my old AMD K6III to use as a starting point for leaving Windows. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone here can help me with.
1) I'm trying to setup a printer that's connected to my Windows box via USB but I can't seem to get it to access the printer. Any suggestions?

2) What's the easiest way to update Knoppix?

CrashedAgain
12-20-2004, 02:58 AM
1. You will have to connect to your windows box using samba (easiest way is to use linneighborhood) to share your windows printer.
2. You cannot 'upgrade' knoppix as in make Knoppix 3.4 into Knoppix 3.6. But once installed to HD you can upgrade any or all of the applications to the latest available versions using the normal Debian apt-get package management system. Just don't do 'apt-get upgrade', it appempts to upgrade everything all at once plus resets some of your system defaults & generally screws things up. Just upgrade individual packages by installing the latest versions: 'apt-egt -t unstable install <packgename>'

theehman
12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Ok. When I try to access my other PC via Samba, I get an "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" message. Where do I go now? :?:

rcook
12-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Check
1) that the printer is shared and
2) that the firewall/securityin windows is set to permit access XP SP2 installs a firewall even if you haven't installed a 3rd party firewall.