PDA

View Full Version : cmg Compressed Application Images

probono
12-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Imagine a .deb that you can run directly without installing it: that's .cmg - the new package format used in "next generation" klik.

The advantages are numerous:
* No more software installations
* One single .cmg file per application
* Total transparency about what is installed where (one .cmg file per app)
* You can store .cmg files where you want (HD, USB stick, CD-ROM, DVD) and run them from there
* Efficient use of storage space due to .cmg compression (saves 50%)
* No possibility to destroy anything (all is contained in a read-only .cmg file)
* Easy to give an application to a friend (just mail one .cmg file)
* Easy to keep your additional applications if you upgrade or change the base Operating System or move to another machine
* Makes it possible to run additional applications on Live CDs such as Knoppix or Kanotix
* If something doesn't work, simply remove one .cmg file and everything is reverted
* No need to be root in order to run new software

Try it now and please post back your ideas for improvement.

http://klik.atekon.de/docs/index.php?page=Compressed%20Application%20Images

Greetings,
probono

firebyrd10
12-19-2004, 07:50 PM
What about file changes the program needs to make?

Where would those be stored?

probono
12-19-2004, 08:07 PM
What about file changes the program needs to make?
imho a program shouldn't change itself (but only the data it works on). The LSB also requires that /usr can be r/o.

Where would those be stored?
Just as with Knoppix itself: /usr is r/o, the rest is used from its r/w places (e. g. /var, /tmp,...).

Greetings,
probono

probono
12-22-2004, 05:59 PM
I have a working cmg of OpenOffice.org 2.0 pre. Imagine just downloading a 100MB file, clicking on it, and it runs :) (see other post)

Greetings,
probono

probono
12-27-2004, 01:52 PM
cmg is now default, please post what you think.

Greetings,
probono

Superstoned
01-15-2005, 11:51 PM
cmg is now default, please post what you think.

Greetings,
probono

what I think??? damn, man, I haven't been here (knoppix.net) for some time, and while I was gone you created something... wow... really impressive. I just can't imagine you did this... Yow, you got some help, sure, but still - its amazing. really. uber-cool. I hope you can find time to continue working on this... I have quite some troubles with my installation, but as soon as these have been worked out, I'll be trying klik :D

good job, man!

/superstoned is impressed