PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix is very nice, but I forced to switch back to win xp

wilson001
12-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I have to say knoppix is a very nice...... not only the "outside look", but also it's power to perform many things...... and the idea of live CD is excellent....... However, I tried to use it in my vaio laptop...... I couldn't get my dvd drive to work in knoppix and since I have a lot of things on disc...... if knoppix couldn't use my dvd drive, then it just become completely useless and I guess I have to switch back to microsoft windows xp instead.

The error I got is as follows :
Unable to run the command specified, The file or folder

file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist

I try to use ln -sf /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd and still didn't work ( May be my command isn't correct, I am just a beginner to Linux )......

baldyeti
12-19-2004, 10:23 PM
file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist
From the above error message, maybe it's just the mount point that's missing rather than the device entry in /dev. Try to simply create a /mnt/cdrom folder...

Harry Kuhman
12-19-2004, 11:21 PM
...the idea of live CD is excellent....... However, I tried to use it in my vaio laptop...... I couldn't get my dvd drive to work......
Were you using the Live CD, as your comment suggests, or were you using Knoppix instaled to hard drive? If installed on a hard drive then I'm not too surprised (I'm much more surprised when someone installs Knoppix to a hard drive and doesn't have problems), but if so your post really should be in the hdd install forum. If from CD then I'm not sure how you expected to use the DVD drive; I've never seen a notebook with more than one DVD/CD drive and the KNoppix CD has to stay in the drive it booted from while running (unless you have a gig of memory and use the toram option, which you also didn't mention).

wilson001
12-20-2004, 07:28 AM
...the idea of live CD is excellent....... However, I tried to use it in my vaio laptop...... I couldn't get my dvd drive to work......
Were you using the Live CD, as your comment suggests, or were you using Knoppix instaled to hard drive? If installed on a hard drive then I'm not too surprised (I'm much more surprised when someone installs Knoppix to a hard drive and doesn't have problems), but if so your post really should be in the hdd install forum. If from CD then I'm not sure how you expected to use the DVD drive; I've never seen a notebook with more than one DVD/CD drive and the KNoppix CD has to stay in the drive it booted from while running (unless you have a gig of memory and use the toram option, which you also didn't mention).

I have installed the knoppix into the hard drive. When I tried to click the access the drive, the error message stated above was displayed. So I tried to go to the folder ( /mnt/cdrom )in order to take a look. I did see there's an icon named CDROM, but the icon is a bit different than others icon...... And when I put my mouse to it, it displayed something saying "The path doesn't exist anymore". So, it occurs to me that icon was actually a short to another place ( /mnt/auto/cdrom ), then I went to that folder and found out it is empty, and I don't have any permission to do anything over there.

zerwekh
12-20-2004, 01:24 PM
I suggest the following solution:

1) type on a terminal the command dmesg
2) you will see a lot of information written on screen but somewhere in that apparent chaos you will a reference to your CD/DVD drive. In my case is:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: DVD-ROM SD-C2302 Rev: 1713
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

The important fact is that it says to me that my DVD is a sr0 device, so now I can mount it as

sudo mount /dev/sr0

I hope it can help

zerwekh
12-20-2004, 01:31 PM
oops, a better mount command is:

sudo mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom

Where I assume you have created a /cdrom folder. It allows you to do things like: cd /cdrom

j.drake
12-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Wilson, be sure to go to the Sony website and search for downloads. My memory is fuzzy, but when I tried unsuccessfully to boot Knoppix to a VAIO notebook, I found out about a BIOS upgrade that fixed the problem. May have nothing at all to do with what you are trying, but it may be worth a shot. You might also try Kanotix before you give up on linux entirely. I've found it to boot more reliably.

jd

wilson001
12-21-2004, 08:08 PM
I suggest the following solution:

1) type on a terminal the command dmesg
2) you will see a lot of information written on screen but somewhere in that apparent chaos you will a reference to your CD/DVD drive. In my case is:

Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: DVD-ROM SD-C2302 Rev: 1713
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

The important fact is that it says to me that my DVD is a sr0 device, so now I can mount it as

sudo mount /dev/sr0

I hope it can help

Thank you so much for the help. However, when I try to run the command. It said I am not
"in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported".

Then I try to run the command in the root, it again gave me another error

mount : block device /dev/sr0 is write protected, mounting read-only
mount : No medium found.

I will be appreciate if you can help me again once more. Again I am very new to Linux, and henceforth don't know all the details like command to use yet. Thanks again.

baldyeti
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Sorry for stating the obvious, but you do have a cdrom in there, dont you ?-)

wilson001
12-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Sorry for stating the obvious, but you do have a cdrom in there, dont you ?-)

Yes, I do have CDROM in there.

baldyeti
12-21-2004, 11:10 PM
To try zerwekh's suggestion:
su <type password; ->prompt changes to '#'>
dmesg | morelook for the device for your cdrom - but it very likely is sr0 with a 2.6.x kernel - might be /dev/hdc without SCSi emulation...
then try mounting "mount -r /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom" (still as root)

good luck...

msmith44
01-04-2005, 10:39 PM
yeah knoppix is good, but i have to go back to xp because i cant get my damn modem workin :cry: stupid thing

rrfish72
01-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Try a different linux distro. Mandrake or red hat are pretty cool. Kanotix is the one I choose and is awesome.

haitower
01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi, I'm on hd install and i have no problems with my cdrom and dvd drive until yesterday.

Simply the error display to me is that doesn 't exists. I've tried all comands I've read but don't works:

This is what i get when I use dmesg:
hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1712, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: SONY CD-RW CRX225E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

hdc: attached ide-scsi driver.
hdd: attached ide-scsi driver.
Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: DVD-ROM SD-M1712 Rev: 1004
Vendor: SONY Model: CD-RW CRX225E Rev: QYB2
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

Type:
sudo mount /dev/sr1 /cdrom
/dev/sr1: Error de entrada/salida
mount: dispositivo de bloques /dev/sr1 está protegido contra escritura; se monta como sólo lectura
/dev/sr1: Error de entrada/salida

sudo mount /dev/hdd /cdrom1
/dev/hdd: Error de entrada/salida
mount: debe especificar el tipo de sistema de ficheros

I've tried to change /etc/fstab but the error message is the same

I don't know which can be the problem cos I can burn cds with hdd dispositive and k3b (k3b recognise the cdrom)

Thanks

mud
01-25-2005, 05:25 AM
my cdrom stopped working after 3.7 hdd install.

this command fixed it for me

mount -r /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom

good luck all.