PDA

View Full Version : 3.7 start up problem

blackbird
12-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Currently using knoppix 3.4. successfully with the 2.4 kernel. I use myconfig=/dev/hdxx and home=/dev/hdxx

When booting the 3.7 release the X server attempts to start but only as far as a blank screen. However by using the cheat code knoppix 2 - I can get to the prompt. From this point, using startx, knoppix will load up fully using the light weight fluxbox browser. Unfortunately I think at this stage I am logged in as root. I would like to be running as the user "knoppix" not root. But I am not sure how to get their. The "knoppix 2" cheat code boots to a root prompt. I would like to get out of this to user "knoppix"
Alternatively, can you think of another way to get 3.7 to boot fully without intervention. ? The 3.4 disk is working ok.

CrashedAgain
12-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Sounds like 3.7 is not finding the proper configuration for your graphics card. Find out what the proper xmodule is from you 3.4 disk...when starting up it will say something like "Video is xxxxx...using xxxx driver". Then ftry your 3.7 with the cheatcode 'xmodule=xxx' (whatever the driver module was in 3.4).

There doesn't seem to be any way to get from being root to being user knoppix when you boot knoppix2; usually 'exit' will logout you out then you can log back in as user but there must be an automatic 'log back in as root' script active somewhere.

Try 'kdm' instead of startx.

blackbird
12-20-2004, 01:21 PM
When I first commenced using 3.4 I had to do a hack to get the xserver working. This is causing a problem to knoppix 3.7. The upshot is that if I start 3.7 with simply linux26 and leave out any reference to persistent home and myconfig, all goes well. Knoppix boots to a nice shiny 3.7 desktop. I will reconfigure 3.7 to my liking and then safe the setup to myconfig. It means a bit more work not being able to use my old settings, - but the new knoppix is impressive, and I would like to make use of it. This seems to be the way ahead for me.

Brian