PDA

View Full Version : router customization

dwatkins
12-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Well i had a router running rh9.0, ran great configured it and forgot it,but the hdd failed.
I was able to save some configs (iptables,named,dhcp, etc) and i don't want to have to buy a new drive.
So how easy would it to be to use knoppix either through customizing it, or just doing a little configuring, to reference the files i already have.
The goal being that it can reboot and i dont have to touch it, it will all be automagic. I realize if i ever wanted to add things i would probably have to reburn the disc but that is a later consideration. :?:

UnderScore
12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Well since it is all Linux it should be similar. You will probably have to adjust the config files to match the Knoppix names. Have you checked out IPCop (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ipcop)? It is a distro designed to be a broadband NAT/Gateway/Router and is very easy to install. In fact they also have a way of backing up the config files so that if your HD failed again, a simple restore of the config files would bring it back to life.
I hope this helps.
James