PDA

View Full Version : HDD install not booting.

karloss132
12-21-2004, 04:47 PM
ok, i am running a sony viao laptop with 40 gig HDD split into 4 partitions,

1, 20gig ntfs for my xp install,
2, 4.5 gig ext3 for my knoppix 3.6 install
3, 15 gig fat32 with all my files
4, 500mb linux-swap partition.

using the Live-CD all my HDD install all goes through fine. once i have rebooted and try to load from HDD i get

unmount: devfs: not mounted
pivot_root: No such file or directort
/sbin/init/: 426: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

i have tried a few ways to get round this and make it boot, but yet to no success. please help.

also what i am trying to ulitmetly do is dual boot (not to bothered how between) my xp and knoppix install but i cant use cds or floppy discs to boot as i dont want to be taking my docking station arround with me anywhere. the knoppix install was made onto /dev/hda3 and the swap was /dev/hda4 and xp install on /dev/hda1

any ideas/solutions would be helpfull,

karloss

markb
12-21-2004, 11:31 PM
unmount: devfs: not mounted
pivot_root: No such file or directort
/sbin/init/: 426: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Karloss, what version of knoppix are you using? (v3.6 or later I bet). Are you installing lilo/grub to the MBR or root partition? (I bet it is the root partition).

I get this exact same error and have asked about it all over various forums without much response. Knoppix 3.2 to 3.4 worked fine, this bug was introduced at knoppix 3.6 (I have not tried 3.7 yet). The latest Kanotix (BH-X) shares the same problem but earlier ones were ok. Mepis 2004-01 to 2004-04 work fine (haven't tried the latest pro and 2004-06 Mepis). It is my theory that the libparted library in Debian unstable has a bug which is travelling through the latest live CDs. E.g. I could not use any of the new sarge installer versions (up to pre-rc2) as it could not see my partitions at all. However, the very latest sarge installer (rc2) works ok. Possibly a fix has been made to libparted which we will have to wait to propagate to the live CDs.

markb
01-03-2005, 04:58 AM
Key karloss132, see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15903.

Any chance you have a Seagate Barracuda drive as well?

Durand Hicks
01-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Karloss,

Your install seems to be confusing to me. At the beginning you said:

1, 20gig ntfs for my xp install,
2, 4.5 gig ext3 for my knoppix 3.6 install
3, 15 gig fat32 with all my files
4, 500mb linux-swap partition.

Now you say linux is installed to /dev/hda3 which is your fat32 partition. It should have been installed to /dev/hda2 instead if I'm reading you correctly. Fat32 is not compiled directly into the kernel but it is available as a module and you cannot boot to a partition that is not compiled into the kernel directly.

HTH,

Durand