PDA

View Full Version : Edit: Need help by resizing ext3 Partition w/o data loss!

wartiger
12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I wanted to change my Windows NTFS Partition with Partition Magic, but I got after a few percent an "Seek Error #46".
After that, my NTFS Partition with Win2000 could'nt boot ... It quited booting with the error: "Inaccessible_Boot_Device".
I tried the Repair Funktion from Win 2000 CD but It didn't help. chkdsk /f didn't worked and it came the error "Could'nt find partition"

With my Fedora Core 3 Installation, I can't mount the NTFS Partition. It says "Can't mount partition, bad superblock..."

But with Knoppix 3.7 CD I can read the partition and my question is now: Is there any programm or function like chkdsk in Knoppix/Linux
or any other thing which can repair by bad ntfs partition/the superblock.

???

Harry Kuhman
12-21-2004, 06:20 PM
......But with Knoppix 3.7 CD I can read the partition and my question is now: Is there any programm or function like chkdsk in Knoppix/Linux
Your best bet by far wouold be to use Knoppix to recover anything you want to save from that NTFS partition, and then use normal Windows tools to delete the partition, then recreate it and reformat it.

wartiger
12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
......But with Knoppix 3.7 CD I can read the partition and my question is now: Is there any programm or function like chkdsk in Knoppix/Linux
Your best bet by far wouold be to use Knoppix to recover anything you want to save from that NTFS partition, and then use normal Windows tools to delete the partition, then recreate it and reformat it.

Hey,

thanks for your reply. I'll do that, but there is the first problem:
I have second harddrive with an ext3 partition, there I will copy my ntfs files, but when I boot from the Knoppix Live CD, I have no write access on hdb1.
How can I change that?
Can Linux copy files from ntfs to ext3? Normally yes, or not?

Harry Kuhman
12-22-2004, 07:00 PM
thanks for your reply. I'll do that, but there is the first problem:
I have second harddrive with an ext3 partition, there I will copy my ntfs files, but when I boot from the Knoppix Live CD, I have no write access on hdb1.
How can I change that?
Can Linux copy files from ntfs to ext3? Normally yes, or not?
You can change the read-only access to read/write a number of ways. I usually use the mount command (from a shell, see man mount). But you can also do it from the desktop icon. First right click on the icon and mount it. Then right click and go to the actions... option, which gives you a sub-menu where you make the partition read/write.

Sure, Linux can copy files from an NTFS partition just fine, and it can write them to a Linux partition (which you'll only be able to read with Linux, doh) or to any of the normal FAT partitions, which you could then read with a MS OS.

wartiger
12-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey,

ok, thanks a lot. It works now... I'm cp'ing ... :-)

Now a last question: Can I change the size of my Linux Partition with Partition Magic without any problems?!
I mean, does Linux boot after a size-change? ;-)
Or are there any better programms for changing the size of an "active" linux partition?

firebyrd10
12-23-2004, 12:53 AM
The newer partition magics should be able to resize correctly, Though you could always use ext2resizer but that requires messing with fdisk.

wartiger
12-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi,

it seems that this will take long...
Partition Magic 8 can't resize ext3 Partitions. Parted can't do that too...
ok, no problem, I just converted my ext3 to ext2 with tune2fs -O ^has_jounral /dev/hda1

BUT, parted quitted with the same error as before ("Filesystem has incompatible features")
Partition Magic can't resize the converted "ext2" partition too...
What now?

dumpe2fs /dev/hda1 says

Filesystem features: ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype sparse_super large_file

Hmmm, someone knows anything to do?
:( [/code]

wartiger
12-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Hmmm, some knows help?

CrashedAgain
12-25-2004, 03:14 AM
I had the same problem (parted unable to resize ext3 partition with knoppix on it...see post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13566) I ended up using fdisk (linux fdisk, not MS fdisk) which meant the knoppix install was trashed.
Why do you need to resize? Are you running out of space? You can maybe get around resizing by creating a new partition then moving /home or something to it so your knoppix install is spread over two partitions. Or you could remove some unneeded applications to free up some space.

wartiger
12-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey,

thanks, yeah, I have no more free space. Hm, do you think the will add ext3-resizing support in the next versions of parted?

CrashedAgain
12-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey,

thanks, yeah, I have no more free space. Hm, do you think the will add ext3-resizing support in the next versions of parted?

It's not a problem with ext3 support, it's something with knoppix. When I created a new ext3 partition, parted could resize it but as soon as I put knoppix on it, it couldn't. The version of parted shipped with knoppix is a compact version, maybe the full version would work better but then how could you install it to the CD? You couldn't use klik, klik needs a persistent home which needs the HD & parted only works on an unmounted HD. Easiest I think would be for you to remove packages you don't need. Start with 'localepurge' and then 'apt-get remove kde-i18n*' which will free up about 100 Meg of extra language support.

jdavid
12-26-2004, 04:55 AM
To resize ext3 partition with qtparted or parted on (unmounted) hda5 (for example) do this:

tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/hda5

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda5

resize with qtparted or parted, then

tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/hda5

tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hda5

Summary: Change ext3 to ext2, resize, then change ext2 back to ext3.

wartiger
12-26-2004, 10:26 AM
To resize ext3 partition with qtparted or parted on (unmounted) hda5 (for example) do this:

tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/hda5

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda5

resize with qtparted or parted, then

tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/hda5

tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hda5

Summary: Change ext3 to ext2, resize, then change ext2 back to ext3.

I did that all and parted says: "Error: Filesystem has incompatible feature enabled.

But now I can change the Size with qtparted, but it quits when doing it with an error.

dump2fs:

Filesystem features: ext_attr resize_inode filetype sparse_super large_file

Some of these features seems to cause this problem... but which? And can I disable it without problems?

firebyrd10
12-27-2004, 03:34 AM
What I did was make a backup of the partition with partimage then delete and creat the new bigger partition.

After reloading it with the partimage backup I ran ext2resizer and that expanded it to fill the whole partition.

wartiger
12-27-2004, 09:27 AM
What I did was make a backup of the partition with partimage then delete and creat the new bigger partition.

After reloading it with the partimage backup I ran ext2resizer and that expanded it to fill the whole partition.

I already tried that, but PartImage quitted with error.. :/
I think the only way is to find out which feature doesn't work with parted and how I can disable it and enable it after the resizing again...

wartiger
01-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Can somebody tell me what I should do? Will I ever learn how to repair my partition? ;-)