PDA

View Full Version : Please help knoppix 3.7 how-to HD install

Hsarci
12-22-2004, 07:31 AM
I've been messing around with linux for quite some time now and i have yet to find a distro that i like as much as knoppix. I decided that i want to install 3.7 to my hd and dual boot with windows xp. Ive searched around and around and tried for a while with 3.6 and everytime i was unsuccesful. Can someone please explain step by step how i can install 3.7 to my hd along side with windows xp in terms that a "n00b" would understand? thanks for all ur help.

edit: i have a dell inspiron 4150 laptop with a 40 gig hd...im not even sure how to partition it properly for linux..i.e. which file systems to use and how big.

waterproof
12-22-2004, 07:28 PM
I've been messing around with linux for quite some time now and i have yet to find a distro that i like as much as knoppix. I decided that i want to install 3.7 to my hd and dual boot with windows xp. Ive searched around and around and tried for a while with 3.6 and everytime i was unsuccesful. Can someone please explain step by step how i can install 3.7 to my hd along side with windows xp in terms that a "n00b" would understand? thanks for all ur help.

edit: i have a dell inspiron 4150 laptop with a 40 gig hd...im not even sure how to partition it properly for linux..i.e. which file systems to use and how big.
************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************+
You need to have at least 2 GByte free for a new partition. Otherwise the system will not work properly.
for real working with Knoppix you will need little more space.
Please use approx. 4-6 GByte for this sytsem.
This space should not be in an existing partition and should be free at yor HD for a new partition.
If you have no free partition, please shrinkyour existing XP partition to make some place free.
boot knoppix from CD
open a root shell
type knoppix.installer
You can start qpartet, apartition maker from the menue and design the needed partition.
follow the instructions at point 1 and 2. It should be no problem.

Waterproof

Hsarci
12-23-2004, 03:42 AM
thanks i got it...btw how do u recomend i go about dual booting? im using the standard lilo that came with the 3.7 release but i heard grub is a better choice....i really dont like how lilo looks either...

waterproof
12-23-2004, 02:16 PM
thanks i got it...btw how do u recomend i go about dual booting? im using the standard lilo that came with the 3.7 release but i heard grub is a better choice....i really dont like how lilo looks either...

I used grub before. It worked well.

Now I use lilo, because it came with the installation.
I do not have preferenzes and I would not like to give a recommandation.
You can easely modify the look of lilo.
Check the lilo.conf file. There you will find the location and the names of the backgound images.
Do not forget to run lilo after changing something. check ot the man pages for the options.
- man lilo
. man lilo.conf.

Have fun
:P