PDA

View Full Version : Ultra linux noob needs help!

Catdaemon
12-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi, Im new to linux and need help with a few things:

1) whenever i want to enter administrator mode to modify my settings and things it asks for a password, i have not set a password so i do not know what to do!

2) i have a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem, and knoppix does not find it, or i am doing something wrong. how can i set up an internet connection without the modem? I also have a lucent winmodem but i dont use that :shock:

Thank you!

drb
12-22-2004, 09:07 PM
This thread has the answer to 2) - Try Kanotix

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15759&start=0

drb

UnderScore
12-22-2004, 09:33 PM
I don't know how to help you with #2 but I can help with your #1.
The administrator account (called root) needs to have a password set. So open up a command line Konsole window or just go to the K menu and then Run and type konsole & hit enter. At the command prompt type su followed by 1 dash:

su -
Then type:

passwd
Enter a new password and then enter it again to confirm it. Type exit and then type exit again. Now the root account's password is set to whatever you entered.

Catdaemon
12-22-2004, 09:47 PM
It says enter UNIX password, i dont know what to do, so i entered a new password and it said authentication failed :(

Catdaemon
12-22-2004, 11:21 PM
actualy never mind i got it working.

Next is: how do i install knoppix so i dont need the CD?

rrfish72
12-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Open a console and type sudo knoppix-installer. This will guide you through the rest of the install process. Or it will give you an error if your computer is not partitioned and set up yet for it.

Catdaemon
12-22-2004, 11:37 PM
thanks i will try that now.

j.drake
12-23-2004, 05:53 AM
Before you do that, check out a PMI (poor man's install). If you are really new to linux, chances are that you will find a true hd install to be very frustrating (even experienced linux users have problems more often than not). Hopefully the documentation wiki will be running soon. But, for pete's sake, don't just blindly jump into a full-on install as a noob, based upon reading the install command. Save yourself some real aggravation and read up on it first. Again, I recommend a PMI.

jd

Catdaemon
12-23-2004, 01:33 PM
I need to back up my dataand partition my drive first, but i will read this.

j.drake
12-30-2004, 04:05 AM
Here's (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Poor_Mans_Install) the link to the reformatted how-to. I use the WinPartition method, myself.

God bless you, Markus, for converting it!!!

jd

rrfish72
12-30-2004, 04:30 AM
After you defrag your drive a few times you can resize it without data loss from the tools that are provided by knoppix- qtparted & cfdisk. Create the linux partition and swap and then run the installer.