PDA

View Full Version : help with hdinstall [v3.6]

ultima
12-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi!
I have tested Knoppix on CD some days now and really like so I wanna do a hdinstall..
In Windows I resized one of my bigger partitions and created a 1GB for swap and a ~11GB för Knoppix.

I open the console in knoppix and type "sudo knoppix-installer" and when I press OK it says I haven't done all the requirements which are a partition for swapfile and another for knoppix itself...

What have I made wrong?

rrfish72
12-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Did you format the 2 as linux swap and linux?

ultima
12-23-2004, 09:20 PM
i found out that you should create the partitions as ex3 & linux-swap in qtparter so my ntfs-partitions made in windows didn't work so good :p
Well now I have installed knoppix to the linux-partition, but I can't boot it. It just boots Windows. If I use the knoppix-cd I can boot, but ofcause only the cd-version. I can see that there are a partion with all the files for knoppix..

What shall I do??

rrfish72
12-23-2004, 09:45 PM
You probably didn't install the bootloader to the mbr and just to the root partition. here is what should be done to install lilo to the mbr (Don't worry, it will see your windows and post it as an option to boot):

Boot with the Knoppix CD. I use cheatcodes
Code:
knoppix 2 vga=normal
but you can boot up however you see if. Gain root access

Code:
su -

Mount the Knoppix HD install partition (I will assume it is /dev/hda3, you have to insert the correct partition #)

Code:
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3

Run lilo with the following extensions to put lilo back into the MBR as you bootloader.
Code:
lilo -v -C /mnt/hda3/etc/lilo.conf -r /mnt/hda3

If that was successful, unmount the Knoppix HD partition
Code:
umount /mnt/hda3

Then reboot the PC from the KDE menu or use the command:
Code:
init 6

ultima
12-23-2004, 11:09 PM
I actually used MBR as bootloader.

I tried to mount the partition(hda6 for me) and it says it's already mounted...then I unmount and mount it again and tries the lilo-command which says there's no such file and I havn't spelled wrong anywhere. Also there is a lilo.conf-file where it point to...it's very strange...

shah
12-24-2004, 02:18 AM
adding a bit to rrfish72 procedure.
After you mount your hda6 partition, you need to chroot it.
Do this as root:

mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6
chroot /mnt/hda6
/sbin/lilo -v

:D

Harry Kuhman
12-24-2004, 02:23 AM
What does this mean? MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It's the space on the very beginning of the drive (first sector of first track) that holds whatever software boots the hard disk (in many cases it holds a very simple boot loader that loads a more advanced loader, as 1 sector isn't large enough to hold much code). So what does it mean to you to say you used MBR?

ultima
12-24-2004, 10:07 AM
What does this mean? MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It's the space on the very beginning of the drive (first sector of first track) that holds whatever software boots the hard disk (in many cases it holds a very simple boot loader that loads a more advanced loader, as 1 sector isn't large enough to hold much code). So what does it mean to you to say you used MBR?

Sorry, I'm not from a english speaking country like you :p
What I was trying to say is that I selected "MBR" in the installation-settings, and not the partition thing..

I tried what you sayd shah, but it still just boots into Windows like before.
When using the last lilo-command, should it say something special in the settings that maybe it dosn't?

ultima
12-24-2004, 03:34 PM
I maybe know what's the problem...
I tried using the debian-option in the installation-settings and before the installation was completed there poped up som text in the background that say something about that there was only read-only...thought it was something about the drives so I tested creating a file on a drive, but I didn't have permission to do that...

Is this the problem, and how do I get permission to write to drives??

ultima
12-25-2004, 06:50 PM
anyone who can help the newbie I am??
Really wanna use knoppix from the harddrive :(

shah
12-26-2004, 03:07 AM
After booting from cd.........unmount all hdd partition listed on desktop (by right clicking--->unmount).
Open konsole:
su
knoppix-installer.
Choose Debian style and install lilo to mbr.

Good luck.

ultima
12-26-2004, 02:41 PM
trying now, hope it works...

ultima
12-26-2004, 05:12 PM
After booting from cd.........unmount all hdd partition listed on desktop (by right clicking--->unmount).
Open konsole:
su
knoppix-installer.
Choose Debian style and install lilo to mbr.

Good luck.

Tried, but the partitions were already unmounted...
Ran the installation again and took my digitalcamera and filmed it where it pops up error-messages in the background and here are some pictures of the errors:
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload0/error1.jpg
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload0/error2.jpg
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload0/error3.jpg
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload8/error4.jpg

Hope you can find what's wrong with them..

shah
12-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Delete all linux partition and create new one using cfdisk. (or you can create using other partition manager ex: partition manager)
Try Boot knoppix cd with cheat code: knoppix nodma
Then try install again.

ultima
12-27-2004, 01:46 PM
didn't work either :(

Seems like I can't make a hdinstall.... :(

ultima
01-05-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm getting this thread alive again.

It's like this that I were gonna reinstall Windows a while ago and before that I just made a test and renamed the windows-directory and deleted som boot-files and stuff so that windows wasn't accessable. Then I tried installing knoppix and it really worked booting after the installation.
The bad thing is that as soon as I install Windows again it will only boot into that and no Knoppix anymore...

What shall I do?? Should I have Windows alone on one of my three harddrives and linux on one of the other, cause right now they lies on the same drive.

ultima
01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
anyone who can help me?

CrashedAgain
01-08-2005, 06:17 AM
I'm getting this thread alive again.

It's like this that I were gonna reinstall Windows a while ago and before that I just made a test and renamed the windows-directory and deleted som boot-files and stuff so that windows wasn't accessable. Then I tried installing knoppix and it really worked booting after the installation.
The bad thing is that as soon as I install Windows again it will only boot into that and no Knoppix anymore...

What shall I do?? Should I have Windows alone on one of my three harddrives and linux on one of the other, cause right now they lies on the same drive.

They should work OK all on the same drive but usually you must install windows first then linux afterward because windows will overwrite lilo on the the MBR. Windows doesn't like recognise that there are other operating systems in the world. This will be a problem even if linux is on a different HD as it still needs lilo on the boot MBR.

So you must find a way to boot into your Knoppix install without using lilo so that you can boot into it after you reinstall windows & reinstall lilo. There are two ways of doing this. First is to make a boot disk & use it to boot Knoppix after lilo is trashed. Second is to boot the CD with the bootcode 'knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' (replace hda5 with the correct partition for where your knoppix is). Try first before you reinstall windows so you know you will be able to get into KNoppix after you replace windows.

Then reinstall windows, boot into Knoppix & reinstall lilo with 'sudo lilo'.

J2388h
01-08-2005, 08:40 AM
I am NEW i have very very little knowladge on hard disk partitions and i want to install knoppix on my hard drive. i have 2 HD's a 500mb and a 40gig drive. i recently tried knoppix and i think its great :D .the only problem is i can not mount my 40 gig hard drive. when i first used the knoppix cd it was mounted . i tried to install it using the command line and then something appeared asking me if i wanted todo something to my hd. ( im sorry it is so vague but i honestly cant remember what i did.)but anyway the problem is every time i try to install knoppix throught the command line i get an error message. I will put the order i do things to get this message. 1) i wait untill the knoppix cd boots adn gets to the desktop. 2) i press
ctrl-alt-F1. 3)i type-"knx-hdinstall" 4)a program appears telling me that this script will help me install knoppix. 5) i click "ok" 6) it asks me to choose a hard disk to install to...i choose the 40 gig hard disk. 7)it then says that cfdisk will now be launched...i hit "ok" 8) than it saya FATAL ERROR : bad primary partition 0: partition ends after end-of-diskpress any key to exit cfdisk 9) now it asks me if i want to use a swap partition( i dont know what this means) i choose "ok"now it says NO swap partition could be found on the current hard disk. I am really lost i dont know anything about swap partitions or partitions in general i would really appreciate if anyone took some time to help me out i really enjoyed using knoppix and would like to keep it on my hard disk...THANKS

rrfish72
01-08-2005, 08:52 AM
j23, before you do the install, try QTparted and see if you get an error when the program scans the partitions. If you get no errors then use this program to make your partitions. You have to set a password to use this, sudo passwd - then enter password..and again. Now you can use QTparted. It should be located in k menu-->system. I didn't know the old knx-installer still worked. I always used knoppix-installer. What version are you trying to install?

J2388h
01-10-2005, 09:24 PM
hey thanks but i installed mandrake 10.0 and that solved all my problems. Afterward i installed knoppix and i t worked fine. I am very satisfied with it but now i am having a problem using my usb modem to connect to the internet. if anyone can help , please do so. thanks

scruffyeagle
01-12-2005, 05:15 AM

I tried to mount the partition(hda6 for me) and it says it's already mounted...then I unmount and mount it again and tries the lilo-command which says there's no such file and I havn't spelled wrong anywhere. Also there is a lilo.conf-file where it point to...it's very strange...

Hi, Ultima!

I don't know the answer re. dual-booting Windows & Knoppix, but I have a suggestion for making that HD installation usable: If the installation was successful, then all the gears, levers, & settings you need are in place - so, if you power up w/ the Knoppix CD in the drive, and use "Knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda6" (I think I've got that right,...) as your startup command, it should use that hda6 installation as its source for Linux to run instead of continuing to use the CD. Once it's up & running, you can take out the CD, because you'll be running off the HD. I know this doesn't free you from needing to use the CD for booting, but it does let you use the already-expanded files you've put on the hard drive, & Knoppix will function more quickly as a result.