PDA

View Full Version : which wireless net is best

dutchbrown
12-25-2004, 01:25 AM
I want a wireless net in my home which flavor is better suited for home, B or G routers? I mostly just surf the web or play poker via my DSL connection maybe a occasional song download.

Harry Kuhman
12-25-2004, 07:15 AM
I want a wireless net in my home which flavor is better suited for home, B or G routers? I mostly just surf the web or play poker via my DSL connection maybe a occasional song download.
G is coming down in price, but usually still costs a lot more than B. G is certainly faster for connecting between computers on your local network, but even B is significantly faster than the high speed connection that you are likely to have coming into your home, so if most or all of what you want to do with the wireless link is Internet related, then the incoming connection is likely to be your bottleneck, not the choice of B or G. My thought would be to price out B and G, and maybe even some of the faster (but less standard) technologies that have been coming out recently. If you can justify the price difference to get the G or better, then go ahead. But if you're buying wireless for Internet access and you don't realistically expect your connection to be fast enough to challenge 802.11B in the next 2 or 3 years, then there is little reason to pay more for the "extra speed".

kelmo
12-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Linux support for wireless G devices is not as good as it is for B devices atm.

Also something to consider. Check out the following link for linux compat. :

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

dutchbrown
12-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all of your input. Think I will stay with the B since it is cheaper. I can a kit with the router and hookups for my two boxes for around $40.