PDA

View Full Version : NTFS Install Steps?

abstar
12-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Hello,

I am considering installing Knoppix(2.6 Kernel)on my ancient Compaq Presario laptop (160 MB RAM, 400 MHz) and setting it up as a dual boot along with Win XP Pro. I have a 20 gig hard disk (no partitions) and it has around 9.5 gigs free on it. The HD uses the NTFS system. I was wondering if anyone could provide a step by step as to how to install Knoppix to a NTFS drive without data loss, how to partition and finally how to set it up so that there is a dual boot option at startup. I am pretty new to all this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ZeroKun
12-26-2004, 04:27 PM
You cant install it on an NTFS partition, create a new one with QParted and make it either ext2 or ext3, then follow the install guides provided on this site.

Alterscape
12-26-2004, 04:59 PM
I think his question was, "can I resize NTFS partitions with QParted without losing data?" AFAIK, the answer is no -- Parted doesn't support NTFS resizing. I know a product called PartitionMagic can, but it is payware.

OErjan
12-26-2004, 06:29 PM
ntfs resize is incorporated into qtparted as far as i know. it can move the end of a partition only (atleast larst i heard) but...
and best to defrag tha partition a few times just to be sure.

abstar
12-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Ok, I'm getting conflicting responses here. Is it safe to use QParted with a 20 GB NTFS HD with the current version of Knoppix to create the the 2 partitions needed (Knoppix+Swap) for a full HD install?

That aside, the dual boot, will I be prompted to set that up within the Knoppix installer, if not, how do i go about accessing it?

A

ZeroKun
12-26-2004, 11:34 PM
The drive isnt NTFS, one of your partitions is. If you have enough room you can create more than one partition, but you might need to resize the NTFS one like the other people said. If you have more than 384mb of ram, I would say that it is possible to do without the swap partition.

abstar
12-27-2004, 04:46 PM
I just went ahead and ran the install program, everything went well, partitioned, Lilo worked and everthing.

Then when I try and boot into Kernel 2.6, I get the following error

"Process 'update' used obselete bd flush system call" Fix your intscript?

I say yes and the OS continues with its routine, autodetecting devices and such

Then when KDE starts to load I get the following error message

"Writing to the temp directory (/tmp) failed with the error "Permission denied"

"KDE unable to start."

Then this error

"Couldn't stat ksmserver"

And then finally it says I do not have enough memory to start KDE, 82 required and gives me a shell window.

I have 156 MB Ram, how is this possible? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

EDIT: Also have a 350MB Swap Partition

Thanks,

A

abstar
12-28-2004, 01:48 AM
seems like a fixable problem? anyone have a solution or heard of something similar?

If not, would a reinstall work perhaps? And if so, do I need to uninstall first or can I just install over the original install?

A