PDA

View Full Version : nt bootloader with image from dd?

Alterscape
12-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Okay, so when I did the hdd install for Knoppix 3.7 (Debian-style), I told it to write the bootloader to /root instead of /mbr because I was scared of screwing up my MBR and messing up my windows bootloader. I know from previous installers that you can use the dd command to write the bootloader to an image file (dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/floppy/bootimage.img bs=512 count=1) and then copy that image to the nt drive and add the line C:\bootimage.img="Linux" to boot.ini .. I did all this for a previous redhat install and it worked fine, but things aren't going well for knoppix/debian. I know the problem isn't with the image, because I was able to use dd to write the image to the boot sector of another floppy, and it worked as a bootdisk (I booted with it just now, and am using it). Has anybody dealt with this? Thanks for any help!

Durand Hicks
12-26-2004, 10:12 PM
When running
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/floppy/bootimage.img bs=512 count=1,
you need to make sure the if= statement points to the correct partition holding the boot image.
According to your other post, it was /dev/hda8, iirc.
Change the command to:
dd if=/dev/hda8 of=/mnt/floppy/bootimage1.img bs=512 count=1
You can copy that to your NTFS partition from the floppy once booted to windows and add it to your boot.ini.

Alterscape
12-27-2004, 02:56 AM
Are you sure I typed 'hda8' in the other post? It's definitely hda1. On my system, hda1 = 13gb linux, hda2 = 2gb linux swap, hda3 = 15gb ntfs (XP system files) and hdb1 = 80gb ntfs (data).

I know that the image I extracted with DD is good, because when I use dd to write the image to the boot sector of a floppy, it then functions as a boot disk. The problem is somewhere with the ntfs bootloader and the image, I believe..

bfree
12-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Forget this technique altogether, instead look at this thread on using grub with ntfs/fat and the windows boot loader (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&start=150). It's easier and more flexible.

Alterscape
12-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Forget this technique altogether, instead look at this thread on using grub with ntfs/fat and the windows boot loader (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&start=150). It's easier and more flexible.

Interesting link, bfree, but it looks like that stuff's dealing with booting knoppix from an ISO image of the CD, on an NTFS filesystem. I've got a seperate ext3 filesystem for linux system files, with Knoppix installed Debian-style. Will this still work for me..?

bfree
12-27-2004, 09:56 PM

Interesting link, bfree, but it looks like that stuff's dealing with booting knoppix from an ISO image of the CD, on an NTFS filesystem. I've got a seperate ext3 filesystem for linux system files, with Knoppix installed Debian-style. Will this still work for me..?
YES!

The thread may be about booting an iso image, but the technique it describes involves installing a copy of grub in your windows boot menu, you can then config grub to boot whatever you want :-) Just follow normal grub setup instructions!

Alterscape
12-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Cool, cool.. thanks much for the link! I'll give it a shot.

BrainDeadAngel
12-28-2004, 05:37 PM
hiya all,
need help here. what if i still wanna use this ntloader to boot my knoppix3.7.
can all the solution above do it?
it's just that i don't wanna get into any trouble :? if the bootdisk fails.

Alterscape
12-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Okay, so I downloaded Giles' most recent grubd.zip, and it looks useful. I don't know how to set up menu.lst to boot my Debian-style Knoppix install. Here's what's going on..

hda1: ext3 knoppix 3.7 linux partition
hda2: linux swap
hda3: NTFS WinXP system
hdb1: NTFS data

I presume I need a line in grub's menu.lst to the tune of

title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 from ext3 hda1
kernel (hd0,0)/something/
initrd (hd0,0)/somethingelse/

but I don't know what should take the place of the 'something.'