PDA

View Full Version : Post HDD Install Issues (sound, ctrl-alt-Fx, nforce/nvidia)

transami
04-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Using the new 3.2 Knoppix (2003-03-25) had a very smooth hdd install on a Shuttle SN41G2 :D Only a couple issues to work through.

Firstly, of course, i had to download the proper drivers for the onboard nforce chipset and nvidia gforce 4 mx video adapter. both compiled from the source tar with little problem, although the sound module did not compile for lack of the i810 audio module's source code which the nforce module patches. luckily the included i810 driver mostly works, in that KDE's arts works fine. but xmms doesn't work. what's up with the OSS drivers? tuxracer has no sound as well. any ideas?

on the other hand, although the nvnet module and nvidia modules compiled and work okay, everytime i reboot i have to rerun insmod on them then ifconfig my network card and startx manually. does anyone know how i properly make this automatic?

also (now that the nvidia driver is in place?) when i use ctrl+alt+fx i do not get a terminal, just a blank screeen (this happen on xandros too by the way) does anyone know how to fix this?

much thanks for any help you can provide.

RockMumbles
04-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Have you put the module names in /etc/modules?

rock

wififun
05-13-2003, 05:07 PM
I have compiled and installed the nvnet module following the directions. Everything is where it should be, and nvnet.o is in /etc/modules to load at start up, and it is working. But no network is coming up on eth0 or anything else for that matter. DHCP is active on my network, but without a netconfig I just am not sure what steps to take to get the nic running with out it being auto detected.

MSI nForce2 - virgin hdd install from latest knoppix. Only the nVidia drivers have been added.

rickenbacherus
05-13-2003, 11:46 PM
I have compiled and installed the nvnet module following the directions. Everything is where it should be, and nvnet.o is in /etc/modules to load at start up, and it is working. But no network is coming up on eth0 or anything else for that matter.

What does ifconfig -a tell you?

DHCP is active on my network, but without a netconfig I just am not sure what steps to take to get the nic running with out it being auto detected.

Whaddaya mean 'without a netconfig'? Open a term and type netcardconfig

What does your /etc/network/interfaces look like?

wififun
05-14-2003, 02:15 AM
/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface inet loopback
auto eth0
iface0 inet dynamic dhcp

even with nvmod added to /etc/modules I still have to load it manualy. After doing so, ifconfig -a shows
eth0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6000

lo
..... (no need to show this)

By the end of typing this (on a differnt comp) I got it working, but dhcp fails. Using netcardconfig and answering "Yes" to "Use DHCP broadcast?" returns:
Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Operation now in progress Failed.

If I manualy enter ip info, it works and comes up. I am working on this for someone else, so I really need to get the module loaded on boot, and dhcp up and running. (DHCP is only having problems on this machine, it works on everything else on the network, or when this one is booted into windows.)

Thanks

rickenbacherus
05-14-2003, 03:45 AM
eth0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6000

You have no i.p. address! (obviously)

1) What happens when you do this:

#ifdown -a
(output should be nothing)
#ifup -a
(It should only take a moment to bring back up)
#ifconfig -a

2)Make a backup copy of your current /etc/network/interfaces

Then try this one:

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then take it down & back up again.
And of course......post back.

wififun
05-14-2003, 04:53 PM
I updated my apt sources, and did a dist upgrade.
After that the dhcp problem was solved, nothing else seemed to work.
My process now is boot -> instmod nvnet -> netcardconfig -> yes to dhcp -> ifconfig -a to see that all is well.. It works!

The module will not load at boot up though, even with a line added to /etc/modules. There was no documentation with nVidia's drivers beyond the make, make install combination.

I appriciate the help.

m_yates
07-09-2003, 03:19 AM
I just did an install on an MSI nforce2 system and have the same problem with loading nvnet on boot. Thanks to this forum, I can get networking up using: insmod nvnet followed by netcardconfig. Does anyone now how to get nvnet to load on boot?

Stephen
07-09-2003, 06:25 AM
I just did an install on an MSI nforce2 system and have the same problem with loading nvnet on boot. Thanks to this forum, I can get networking up using: insmod nvnet followed by netcardconfig. Does anyone now how to get nvnet to load on boot?

If putting the module in /etc/modules does not work then you can try what I have to use for my sidewinder joystick for the netcard, that is making an alias and pre-installing the module. Edit the file as root in a console window /etc/modutils/aliases and add the lines:

# Added by me for netcard on boot
alias eth0 nvnet
pre-install nvnet

Then enter the command update-modules to update the modules.conf while still in the root console then you would have to re-boot to see if it works, if the pre-install option does not work try putting modprobe in place of the pre-install instead.

m_yates
07-10-2003, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the help. It turns out that I didn't have nvnet in /etc/modules. After adding it, networking works fine. :D

Visseroth
11-05-2003, 04:42 AM
I have heard numerous times that you have to add nvmod or nvnet (which ever it is) to /etc/modules . Well that file doesn't exist so what is it that you do?? make the file and when you do what do you put in the file?

sparken
12-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Have you put the module names in /etc/modules?

rock

YOu not only need to have the module listed in /etc/modules.conf
but you prolly need to have a path set in:

/lib/modules/your kernal ver here/modules.dep

if you run:
#modprobe somemodule
and it returns that it can't find the module, yet run:

#insmod somemodule

and the module loads okay, then adding the path to the module in the modules.dep
file will prolly let the module load at boot.

You can view the existing entries in
modules.dep to see the proper sytax.