PDA

View Full Version : apt-get help

he_wolf
12-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi,

I have installed knoppix3.6 on my harddisk. Can someone please tell me what sources I am supposed to use in my /etc/apt/sources.list i.e. shoudl i use testing or should i use unstable.

-Thanx-

CrashedAgain
12-27-2004, 01:16 AM
You should be OK just to leave the sources list as is; you should have sources for stable, testing & unstable in the list and the list should include all three. You can specify which to use, for example apt-get -t unstable install will install a package from unstable. Otherwise apt will use the same category as what the package is...if you go apt-get upgrade on a package that was listed as being in testing, apt-will upgrade to whatever is currently in testing.

gnarvaja
12-28-2004, 04:52 AM
I have installed knoppix3.6 on my harddisk. Can someone please tell me what sources I am supposed to use in my /etc/apt/sources.list i.e. shoudl i use testing or should i use unstable.

First of all, backup your sources.list file.

Get apt-spy, it will check the best sites to download the updates for you. Apt-spy gets the list of mirrors from a known url in one of the debian sites. Try it more than once, performance might change based on Internet traffic, once you identify a reliable source, stick to it by modifying your sources.list file.

Also, check the apt configuration files (see details in the man pages for apt) and change the default release to 'testing' or 'stable'. I use 'testing' and very seldom have problems. I think the default for Knoppix is 'unstable'. It is a matter of taste really.

Last but not least, keep (or uncomment) the lines for updating Knoppix at the end of the original sources.list file.

--GN