PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop, need some help

WolfCub
12-26-2004, 11:49 PM
I just got a new laptop yesterday (Christmas) and I put Debian on it. It is a Compaq Evo N620c, brand new off of eBay. I want to get the 3D OpenGL acceleration going. It has a Radeon 7500 graphics card. I want to use the DRI OpenGL driver if possible.

Also, the Laptop Batter control center module says:

"Your computer seems to have a partial ACPI installation. ACPI was probably enabled, but some of the sub-options were not - you need to enable at least 'AC Adaptor' and 'Control Method Battery' and then rebuild your kernel."

And the laptop battery monitor isn't showing up in the system tray. How do I fix it?

WolfCub
12-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Also, how can I get the dial up modem working? KPPP says it can't open /dev/modem/

CrashedAgain
12-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Sorry, can't help with the video accel card. but

Also, how can I get the dial up modem working? KPPP says it can't open /dev/modem/

Modem is undoubtably a winmodem. See this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15619

If you are totally unable to get ltmodem to work in Knoppix, ltmodem is pre-installed on kanotix so I would suggest a switch.

WolfCub
01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
OK, I called up HP support. The guy knew what he was talking about and surprised me. The modem is an Agere Systems AC97, the wireless bluetooth is a HP w200 and it uses a Compaq Multiport for the wireless stuff. I got the DRI 3D drivers partially installed. I'm using kernel 2.6.10-1 out of unstable. This the section of the readme I'm following:

"cd /usr/src
tar -xzf drm-trunk.tar.gz
cd kernel-source-2.6.9
cp /boot/config-2.6.9-1-k7 ./.config
make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-k7 modules_image
dpkg -i ../drm-trunk-module-2.6.9-1-k7_<dri-trunk-sid version>_i386.deb"

So I ran:

cd /usr/src
tar -xzf drm-trunk.tar.gz
cd kernel-source-2.6.10
cp /boot/config-2.6.10-1-386 ./.config
make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-k7 modules_image
dpkg -i ../drm-trunk-module-2.6.10-1-386_<dri-trunk-sid version>_i386.deb

What am I doing wrong and how do I get the rest of my hardware going as well. X11 is the priority so lets fix it first though.