PDA

View Full Version : Yet another can't boot from CD

dayers7
12-27-2004, 03:18 AM
I know, I know - read the FAQ. But the Documentation server seems to be down, and I'm impatient. Bear with me, please.

I am a SUSE 9.1 user. I downloaded the K3.7 iso, checked the md5sum and burned the iso to a fresh CD using K3b, successfully. But the CD won't boot. I have a store bought Knoppix 3.3 CD that boots with no problem.

Should simply burning the iso onto a CD result in a bootable CD? If not, what is the missing link?

See, now that wasn't too bad, and I'll be eternally grateful for a nudge in the right direction.

Dave

firebyrd10
12-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Did you select the verify written data, could just be a bad burn. Useing a slower speed helps.

eco2geek
12-27-2004, 04:29 AM
And did you select "Tools > CD > Burn CD Image..." from within K3b?

dayers7
12-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Didn't verify, so I will try again and at a lower speed. I just hit the 'burn' button, but I'll also try doing it from the 'Tools' menu. Thanks for the ideas, guys. I assume from your replies that burning the iso should result in a bootable CD.

Dave

Weetabix
12-27-2004, 03:10 PM
I know, I know - read the FAQ. But the Documentation server seems to be down, and I'm impatient. Bear with me, please.

I am a SUSE 9.1 user. I downloaded the K3.7 iso, checked the md5sum and burned the iso to a fresh CD using K3b, successfully. But the CD won't boot. I have a store bought Knoppix 3.3 CD that boots with no problem.

Should simply burning the iso onto a CD result in a bootable CD? If not, what is the missing link?

Ive got the exact same problem dayer7s, it just doesnt seem to boot. Tried changing the boot sequence through the BIOS, that didnt work. I dl'ed the Smart Boot Manager .exe, and put in onto a floppy, and when I restarted I got a Non-System Disk error.

What is 'checking the md5sum'?

Yes, I am a total n00b.

:(

UnderScore
12-27-2004, 05:09 PM
What is 'checking the md5sum'?
It is a way of making sure the ISO image that you downloaded is not corrupt. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ#Q:_What_are_these_strange_MD5_file s_that_accompany_the_ISO_CD_images.3F

Weetabix
12-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks Underscore :)

balak
12-28-2004, 12:24 AM
I have the exact same problem and posted this under MS Windows support on the forum.

I burnt the 3.6 ISO onto a CD and changed the boot sequence. But Knoppix just wont fire up. The MD5 check indicated that all was good. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Harry Kuhman
12-28-2004, 01:20 AM
I have the exact same problem and posted this under MS Windows support on the forum.

I burnt the 3.6 ISO onto a CD and changed the boot sequence. But Knoppix just wont fire up. The MD5 check indicated that all was good. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

dayers7
12-29-2004, 03:36 AM
I finally got a bootable CD of Knoppix v-3.7. I followed the suggestion of starting the burn from the K3b 'tools' menu and slowing the speed from 4X to 2X. I had it verify the burn. For the record,

Tools/CD/Data CD burn
Speed = 2X (not auto)
Verify
command: cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=2 -tao -overburn -data ~/KNOPPIX ... EN.iso

I'm running SUSE 9.1 and using an Iomega ZipCD 4x650.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm guessing that slowing it down did the trick. It was good to hear that bugle!

Dave

balak
12-29-2004, 06:53 AM
well, I finally got a bootable CD (cut burn speed to 4x) that works well on one laptop (a 1.6GHz processor with 512MB RAM) but it stalls on another laptop (512MHz - I know I know I need to upgrade; with 128MB RAM) when it tries to detect the CD. Any thoughts?

Harry Kuhman
12-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Any thoughts?
Just a guess, but sounds like you might need to find the right combination of cheat codes to get it to boot right. Try entering at the boot prompt:knoppix noscsi acpi=off, if that doesn't work try knoppix nodma and if that doesn't work try various combinations of noscsi, nodma and acpi=off, or hit f3 at boot time and look over the partial list of codes there for anything else that looks like it might help. Unfortunately I know of no good way to predict what codes you'll need (if that is even the problem) other than trial and error.

rrfish72
12-29-2004, 08:02 AM
failsafe should get you there.

balak
12-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Any thoughts?
Just a guess, but sounds like you might need to find the right combination of cheat codes to get it to boot right. Try entering at the boot prompt:knoppix noscsi acpi=off, if that doesn't work try knoppix nodma and if that doesn't work try various combinations of noscsi, nodma and acpi=off, or hit f3 at boot time and look over the partial list of codes there for anything else that looks like it might help. Unfortunately I know of no good way to predict what codes you'll need (if that is even the problem) other than trial and error.

Thanks Harry. Will give it a try now.

OErjan
12-29-2004, 03:35 PM
knoppix noscsi atapicd
or
knoppix26 noscsi atapicd
would be other candidates.

balak
12-29-2004, 04:56 PM
yipeeeeeeeeee!!!! knoppix nodma worked!!!! I have knoppix running on my laptop!!! Thanks Harry and everyone else for helping out. Given I am a newbie you will see me around more, bothering you with trivial questions! But, it feels great to have gotten to this first step. :D

Weetabix
12-29-2004, 10:33 PM
I managed to get SBM working, and tried booting from the cd drive, but now get a 'cant find DOS' :?

OErjan
12-29-2004, 10:35 PM
WHAT?? how exactly did you burn that CD? as a bootable?
it should be burnt as a IMAGE, NOT bootable. the iso already has the bootstuff in it.
more here
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/e-smith/docs/howto/CD_burning_howto.php3

balak
12-29-2004, 10:55 PM
WHAT?? how exactly did you burn that CD? as a bootable?
it should be burnt as a IMAGE, NOT bootable. the iso already has the bootstuff in it.
more here
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/e-smith/docs/howto/CD_burning_howto.php3

I probably didn't say it right. When I said I have a bootable CD, I meant, I can now boot my machine off the CD.

I used Roxio to burn my CD and in the first attempt I basically copied the ISO to the CD. I chose to create a data CD and added the ISO file to the CD and hit burn (as instructed on a few of sites). I thought the ISO will be extracted at burn-time. I learnt the hard way that it doesn't. And 2 CDs later (lesson I learnt: When someone says use RW CDs, they have a reason, so listen! :evil: ), I found the "Create CD from image" option and finally had my CD.

Thanks for the link - makes interesting reading.

OErjan
12-29-2004, 11:12 PM
sorry, i was reacting to Weetabix
booting from the cd drive, but now get a 'cant find DOS' Confused
only way i can think of is that he got a failed "bootableCD" burn with nero (Nero uses drdos for bootable cd's).
i am not angry, mad, anoyed... just surprised.
hope things go well for you all.
and sorry if i have made someone mad/sad/hurt...

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 02:06 AM
When someone says use RW CDs, they have a reason, so listen!
There are many good reasons for using CDRW's (just be sure you have a 700 meg CDRW and not a 650 meg CDRW). Here are a few:
You don't waste a CD when you think you know how to burn an ISO.

You don't waste a CD when you decide that checking the md5 sum isn't important and you just can't be bothered to find out what that means anyway.

You don't waste a CD when the very next day after you burnt your version the next version or the bug fix version is released.

You are generally forced to write the CD at a sane and safe reliable speed, rather than disreguarding all advice to write a CDR at 4x.

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 02:13 AM
(Nero uses drdos for bootable cd's).
Why do you say this? I've made bootable CD's with both version 5 and version 6 of Nero (just made one today). Nero asks for an image that becomes the boot image. You can give it a bootable floppy, or an image of a bootable floppy, or an image of a 2.88 bootable floppy, and there are even ways to give it a hard drive image of a partition up to the size of the CDR. I know of no cases where Nero decides to use DrDos or any other particular DOS to build a bootable CD.

OErjan
12-30-2004, 11:37 AM
they use that as a "default" if you do not give any searchpath. atleast for me.

Weetabix
12-30-2004, 03:28 PM
sorry, i was reacting to Weetabix
booting from the cd drive, but now get a 'cant find DOS' Confused
only way i can think of is that he got a failed "bootableCD" burn with nero (Nero uses drdos for bootable cd's)

I used CDBurner XP Pro 3 (free download btw).

Harry, re: burning an ISO, I selected the iso option (in CDBurner XP Pro) and chose Bootable CD.

Surely thats all there is to burning an iso?

OErjan
12-30-2004, 03:59 PM
no the two may well be diferent,
bootable is not ncesary for the knoppix iso. try without that. you may be surprised.
look here for little more

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Surely thats all there is to burning an iso?
Yea, good luck with that.

(I sure hope you're kidding.)