PDA

View Full Version : 3COM Gigabit NIC 3C2000-T not recognized - no internet

Z038
12-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Knoppix 3.7 came up on my PC first time I tried it. That was a very pleasant surprise to me, since every other LInux distro I've tried has taken me hours to get installed and loaded. This LIve CD concept is pretty cool. Unfortunately, Knoppix didn't recognize my NIC, and I couldn't get to the internet. I've gotten past that problem now. I've seen several other threads where people have had a similar problem, so I wanted to post the procedure that got me past that problem.

I have an ABIT KV8-MAX3 mobo with a built-in onboard 3COM Gigabit NIC. The setup disc that came with my system identified it as a 3c2000-T NIC. 3COM supplies the LInux driver source code on the install disc, which you can download along with a PDF user's guide document here 3c2000 T doc (http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=all&sort=effdt&sku=3C2000-T&order=desc). I happened to already have the install disc with the source, 3c2000.tar.gz, because it came with my ABIT mobo, so I didn't have to download it.

Here is the procedure I used to load the driver so I could access the internet from Knoppix.

I copied the tar file from the CD to my Knoppix desktop, then I extracted it (right click and select Extract Here). It creates directory 3c2000 on the desktop. Right click that new directory, then select Actions, then Open Terminal Here. Type "make". I got a bunch of warning messages, but it created the 3c2000.o file. I copied that file to a floppy that I formatted with the ext2 filesystem.

Finally, I rebooted, and at the Knoppix boot parameter prompt I specified expert. Knoppix then prompted me incessantly whether I wanted to reconfigure this or modprobe that, or whatever. I gave it the appropriate responses to let it modprobe itself to happiness with no interference from me. Then when it asked if I wanted to load any additional drivers from the floopy drive, I said yes. At the next prompt I typed insmod 3c2000.o. After that, I gave safe answers to a few more prompts and Knoppix came on up, but this time with the NIC initialized and the internet accessible.

I found this general procedure described someewhere else on the web for a slightly different 3com NIC driver. I'd like to give credit where it is due, but I can't for the life of me find that same website now where the procedure was documented. If I find it, I'll post it. Meanwhile, if Knoppix doesn't recognize your NIC, perhaps you can obtain the driver source from the manufacturer and go through a similar process to compile and load it.

Now, if only I could get this to be included automatically during bootup. Maybe I'll figure out how to do that before too long. I've just ordered the O'Reilly book, Knoppix Hacks (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/knoppixhks/), by Kyle Rankin. Looks like it might be a very useful resource.