PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix & SATA?

Alterscape
12-27-2004, 09:46 PM
I've decided I'm going to purchase a new SATA hard drive for myself for christmas, and since my mobo is a couple of years old and without SATA support, I'll have to purchase a SATA -> PCI adapter. I'm looking at a few low-end models, and would like to go with either the Promise SATA150 TX2Plus or the Adaptec 1205SA (which this page (http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html) says is a Silicon Image-based board). Which of these, or which other SATA PCI card in the sub-$50 pricerange would work best with Knoppix?

Also, I've currently got Knoppix set up with a Debian-style install-to-hdd. How much trouble is detecting and installing this new hardware going to be..?[/url]

boehmb
01-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't know which would be 'best' but I boot Knoppix from my Promise SATA150 TX2Plus PCI adapter running a WD Raptor. Works perfectly. Knoppix recognizes it and loads its Promise driver fine.

sakiZ
06-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Hi I saw your post about using your Promise SATA150 TX2Plus PCI

What version of Knoppix are you using. I am interested in trying SATA in my full HD install of Knoppix 3.7.

I would set the drive up as slave at first copying partitions from my 80 gig Maxtor drive, then eventually switching to the SATA drive for booting.

From your post that sounds promising.

sakiZ