PDA

View Full Version : Can't create usable Linux partitions on Windows HD

Refugee
12-28-2004, 02:04 AM
I'm trying to install Knoppix 3.4 on a hard drive which already has Windows 98 SE on it and am running into nothing but problems. First problem: I made partitions for Linux (3.5 GB for OS, 256 KB for swap) but can't make the OS partition bootable because there's already a bootable Windows partition on the drive. How do I get around that?

My setup: One hard drive, 40 GB, with four fat32 partitions about 8-10 GB each. First two partitions are used by Windows, other two are empty. I deleted the last partition, then created the Linux partition (primary) and then the swap partition (does it matter if it's primary or virtual?).

Thanks for any help.

firebyrd10
12-28-2004, 04:58 AM
There is no point to a swap if it 256 kb.

Anyway, there is no need to set the linux partition as active, the bootloader will take care of that.

Refugee
12-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Sorry, meant to say 256 MB for swap partition. Thanks for replying.

rrfish72
12-29-2004, 12:19 AM
When you install it to the hd, during the install process it will ask you where you want to install the bootloader. The mbr is where you want to put it if you want to boot both knoppix and windows using Lilo(Linux Loader). Lilo will automatically see the windows OS and linux and give you the choices each time you boot. It will default to the linux OS if you do not choose right away. I think there is a 5 second timer. That can be changed later on in the lilo.conf file.

Refugee
12-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks, rrfish, that clears one thing up. I'm at the point where I've created the Linux partitions and written the table to disk, but I don't see any formatting option. I assume the new partitions need to be formatted.

OErjan
12-29-2004, 10:21 PM
that will happen during install

Refugee
12-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks, OErjan. So much to learn....

OErjan
12-29-2004, 11:06 PM
i know, i lern every day.
there is a saying (something like this) "you die when that is what you have left to master, or when you show yourself too stupid to go further."
i guess they did not consider diseases, the stupidity of others, natural disasters...

Refugee
12-31-2004, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I'll say there's something to learn every day. Now when I try to install, I get a "requirements not met" message with an option to make partitions, even though I've already made them and written the table to disk. If I try the partitioning option, I get a message saying the disk is read only. I don't know how a HD can be read only. It's working fine in Windows, at least as fine as it can in Windows. Any ideas? Thanks.

rrfish72
12-31-2004, 03:30 AM
Are they formatted as linux ext3 and linux swap?

Refugee
12-31-2004, 04:21 AM
They were linux (only option) and linux swap. I just deleted them to start over again, let the partitioning function within the installer do it, but got the same "disk read only" message. I think they were only labeled but not formatted yet. I thought that was going to happen during installation.