PDA

View Full Version : Signal Strength unknown?

ZeD
12-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Hello everybody,

i want to use kismet to check out public WLAN points in my city. But i have a problem: kismet runs just fine, it detects all networks, but it doesn't show the right signal strength. To be correct, it shows the SAME signal strength for ALL found networks (mostly -122 or 0), which just can't be.
In Windows the signal strength is just displayed fine.

Is there any other program to check out signal strength in linux (console program would be nice)? Or better: can anyone tell me how to fix that in kismet?

I am using an old Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook with a Allnet WLAN Card which has a prism2 (or 3) chipset.
I am running kismet with 'kismet -c orinoco,eth0,orinoco', maybe i should take another driver?
EDIT: I am using Knoppix 3.7 Kernel 2.4

Thanks in advance,
ZeD

monkeyking
12-29-2004, 08:01 AM
no there really isn't.
Or not for linux atleast, if you wanna know why you should check ndiswrapper homepage.
It's something about you need special driver that has insight information about your network cark.
And if you use ndiswrapper then you just use a sort of generic drivers, that's just wrapped around the windows ones.
:roll:

ZeD
01-02-2005, 06:09 PM
After some more testing i found out this:
1. I think kismet IS detecting signal strength but only for the first detected network, all other networks get the same values. At least the values differ from start to start.
2. wavemon shows me the signal strength of a specified network just fine, so it should be no driver problem.

I hope anyone can help me out.

Greetings,
ZeD

pau1knopp
01-03-2005, 01:33 PM
In KISMET (using v3.4) I see some networks in yellow and some in green. Doesn't this indicate signal strenth?

Oddly enough, KISMET is not working in 3.7 for my orinoco card (Compaq WL110). Its not working for my Cisco aeronet card either, but that didn't work in 3.4 so no surprise there.

I miss not having this functionality for hunting up hot spots whilst traveling.

Regards,

Paul