PDA

View Full Version : I always hated Windows...

A.O.Q.
12-29-2004, 06:59 AM
I am new to Knoppix but I always hated windows/internet explorer/microsoft and any of the other shit programs that came with computers. I want to install Knoppix on my hardrive and not use windows at all. I read one of the other threads about installing Knoppix but I have some hesitations about my computer skills. Who else on here has done this? Or is there another derivative of linux that is relatively easy to learn and use that i could/should try? Also I only have 64 mb of ram and programs run rather slow. Would speed increase if Knoppix was installed instead of running off the disc? Anyone, anyone, anyone...

rrfish72
12-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Kanotix is a very good derivative of knoppix-debian based- that you should try. Maybe too low of RAM to try that: http://kanotix.com/files/kanotix/ . Goto a konsole and sudo knoppix-installer-latest-web to get the latest installer going but sudo knoppix-installer will work fine too. Follow through the steps and away you go. There are certain things that have to be met first, like a linux partition and a swap partition. Once these are created then all should go well.

chris-harry
12-29-2004, 01:12 PM
to really speed things up... i have only got 48 Mb of ram... and knoppix runs smoothly... and there isnt thata steep learning curve... nothing you cant do... :D

any whom... this is what i did... i used the knoppix live Cd v. 3.3, any way.. when it came up to its boot screen i pressed F2, and then i typed in "knoppix desktop= twm", that opens a task window manager... and its very simple, a desktop and a consol... or konsol... i really dont know how to speel... and way... then i typed "sudo knoppix-installer", and because i didnt have internet connection to that computer, i couldnt add the "-latest-web"... it then opened the intstaller... and then i just clicked me way threw that... used QTpartion to partion me drive (500Mb for linux swap drive (its like ram), 3.5Mb linux file system). Then, it only took 2 hours to install everything... but once its on the hard drive... it runs smoothly on a 200MHz pentium...

so, yes it will run well on an old computer.

OErjan
12-29-2004, 03:44 PM
cris-harry i have almost half of your computer, p1@100Mhz with 72Mb ram... it runs ok for me (icewm instead of twm) aswell.
this is mostly true aslong as i stay away from the huge binaries, like mozilla, konqueror, gftp, gimp... if i run anything like that... it takes time and lags.

A.O.Q.
12-30-2004, 02:14 AM
to really speed things up... i have only got 48 Mb of ram... and knoppix runs smoothly... and there isnt thata steep learning curve... nothing you cant do... :D

any whom... this is what i did... i used the knoppix live Cd v. 3.3, any way.. when it came up to its boot screen i pressed F2, and then i typed in "knoppix desktop= twm", that opens a task window manager... and its very simple, a desktop and a consol... or konsol... i really dont know how to speel... and way... then i typed "sudo knoppix-installer", and because i didnt have internet connection to that computer, i couldnt add the "-latest-web"... it then opened the intstaller... and then i just clicked me way threw that... used QTpartion to partion me drive (500Mb for linux swap drive (its like ram), 3.5Mb linux file system). Then, it only took 2 hours to install everything... but once its on the hard drive... it runs smoothly on a 200MHz pentium...

so, yes it will run well on an old computer.

I'm also using v3.3 so that sounds like a good idea. Could i download the latest version and do the same with that?

firebyrd10
12-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Yea, 3.7 should alow it.

chris-harry
12-30-2004, 07:09 AM
why wouldnt it??? unless an angry monster took over the computer

A.O.Q.
12-30-2004, 08:32 AM
you mean like this?

http://image_http://www.atomicartone.com/show/monster.jpg

i just keep getting the little box. it's supposed to be a monster...... ha.. he....he.....

chris-harry
12-30-2004, 12:20 PM
http://alpl.by.ru:81/DOWNLOAD/pic4/MONSTERS.GIF you mean like this... believe it or not, this is a picture or me sister... scary isnt she[/quote]

A.O.Q.
12-31-2004, 12:29 AM
if there are monsters like that than i am outta here.

GreyGeek
12-31-2004, 06:02 AM
I am new to Knoppix but I always hated windows/internet explorer/microsoft and any of the other shit programs that came with computers. I want to install Knoppix on my hardrive and not use windows at all. I read one of the other threads about installing Knoppix but I have some hesitations about my computer skills. Who else on here has done this? Or is there another derivative of linux that is relatively easy to learn and use that i could/should try? Also I only have 64 mb of ram and programs run rather slow. Would speed increase if Knoppix was installed instead of running off the disc? Anyone, anyone, anyone...

128MB would be nicer, but since you don't have it stay away from the bigger static binaries.
I would think the "Klik" cmg files would run fast enough on your setup since they are in sort of like running an iso loop back.
You probably want to use ICEWM or Enlightenment, or one of the other light desktops.