PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX running from CD

nteixeira
12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Hello!

First let me tell you how happy i am to have a Linux Distribution that runs from a CD. My congratulations for the people who made this dream possible.

I am not a complete stranger to Linux. I have old Linux Kernel (1.xx) running as a server exclusivly in console mode.

I need some help to switch the KDE language to English, but i can't logout into the console mode in order to edit the file '/ramdisk/skyrix/skyrix41/documents/17780.defaults' and add a new line containing just the string language = English;

I also would like, if possible, to set the default language to English in the CD. This way i could just run the cd on any machine, and show to all my friend how wonderfull the Linux world is!

Can anyone help me please?

Best Regards to all Linux users!

§8-)

OErjan
12-29-2004, 04:19 PM
just put the cd in and enter when you see the
BOOT: line you type
knoppix lang=us
or
knoppix26 lang=us

for other languages you may use: de, se, fi, ru, es, fr, it, pl, nl, sk, cs, da...
pres F2 or F3 for more "boot time parameters" AKA cheatcodes.
have fun

OErjan

nteixeira
12-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Thank you so very much OErjan, for your help.

You are very fast on your replies!

Thnak you once again!

Best Regards!

OErjan
12-29-2004, 04:36 PM
heh, i am babysitting my sisters kids. i have not much to do but surf... (playstation2 and X box are occupied;-) )

nteixeira
12-29-2004, 05:12 PM
It worked just perfectly!

Let me ask you 2 things:

1 - What do i have to do to install Knoppix on a new HDD?

2 - I've eared that someone managed to run Windows 98SE under Linux. Do you think this is possible? How?

§8-)

rrfish72
12-29-2004, 05:17 PM
At a konsole type sudo knoppix-installer. That will get the installer running. You need to have a partition formatted for linux and a swap also. These are not very hard to do, even if you have to resize you can do it from the cd.

OErjan
12-29-2004, 05:35 PM
use wmware or if you mean just programes you have cedega, wine, dosbox, crossoveroffice and more to help you run windows programmes under linux.
good luck OErjan

nteixeira
12-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Ok.

Thank you too rrfish72!

I guess i'm on the right wait to finaly leave Windows behind!

§8-)