PDA

View Full Version : suspend to disk (on every PC)

probono
04-01-2003, 03:01 PM
http://fchabaud.free.fr/English/default.php3?COUNT=3&FILE0=Tricks&FILE1=Laptop&FILE2=Swsusp

"Software suspend is a kernel patch that provides the ability to suspend execution of the kernel without using any APM BIOS feature. This is really useful if you frequently swap from windows to linux because this feature allows you to save your linux session on disk instead of rebooting."

I would *love* to see this feature in Knoppix and KnoppixKDE since it would drastically shorten boot time and give you nearly "instant on" - on any computer.

molocha
04-03-2003, 02:33 AM
you mean this is like hibernate--on steroids? way cool!

aay
04-03-2003, 04:56 AM

Looks very cool. Someone send this to Klaus.

knopper
04-03-2003, 11:37 PM

Looks very cool. Someone send this to Klaus.

I'm using swsusp on my notebook, and with a special configuration, it does work fine.

But I won't include it on Knoppix, because it can seriously damage your filesystems if you are not an expert on kernel/driver issues. You have to shutdown some devices before software suspend, and sometimes the X-Server does not wake up correctly (especially if you use it in accellerated DRI mode). Its surely does not add stability to the kernel, and may have bad side effects that are not fully known yet. You also need a sufficiently large linux swap partition.

swsusp is nothing for beginners, unless you preconfigure it carefully for each specific system.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper

jdong
08-27-2003, 08:24 PM
But can you at least patch it into the kernel? Even if left disabled, it would save me 30 minutes of time per HD install.