PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX HARD DRIVE INSTALL =NO NO

bugsy
12-30-2004, 12:58 AM
hiya im new to linux and have two pcs.ones a dual boot =windows xp pro and fedora core 3 and the other i want just for linux.ive tried putting debian and gentoo but keep getting problems so i thought id try knoppix.
ive partitioned my hard drive which is 10 gig and rebooted.it runs through the detection and get stuck at scanning for hard drive partitions and creating/etc/fstab....
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED :oops:

shah
12-30-2004, 02:04 AM
try cheatcode: nodma

:D

bugsy
12-30-2004, 02:07 AM
where do i type that in as ist booting

bugsy
12-30-2004, 02:10 AM
typed in nodma and got error .....could not find kernal image

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 02:17 AM
typed in nodma and got error .....could not find kernal image
That's 'cause nodma isn't the name of a valid kernel. What you wanted to type in was knoppix nodma or knoppix26 nodma.

(opps, transposed 2 characters. It's now fixed. I don't think it confused anyone, but no sense leaving bad info here for future readers. Thanks CrashedAgain for the catch.)

bugsy
12-30-2004, 02:22 AM
just trying it now thanx

bugsy
12-30-2004, 02:30 AM
got that done now ive a coloured desktop screen with a window inside saying shell in the top left corner. inside the window i got a prompt line saying
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
could you tell me what i goota do now

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 02:38 AM
got that done now ive a coloured desktop screen with a window inside saying shell in the top left corner. inside the window i got a prompt line saying
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
could you tell me what i goota do now
That's certainly not what I see when I boot a KNoppix CD! Just what did you type at the boot prompt? Anything else you want to tell us about any error messages that might have come up while Knoppix was booting? I gave both the knoppix and the knoppix26 options above, does the other one from whichever you tried produce the same result?

bugsy
12-30-2004, 02:45 AM
i pressed f2 then typed in knoppix26 nodma
il try the other now

bugsy
12-30-2004, 02:53 AM
when i type it knoppix nodam at the boot prompt it runs untill it gets to scanning for hard drive partitions etc
when i type knoppix26 nodma at the boot prompt i get the window again

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 02:55 AM
i pressed f2 then typed in knoppix26 nodma
il try the other now
I'm sorry. I was reading a lot of threads this evening and I just finally noticed that you seem to be talking about a hard drive install. While knoppix nodma or knoppix26 nodma is certainly what you want to type rather than just typing nodma, I really can't give advice about a hard drive install of Knoppix (From over a year and a half of reading these forums, about the only thing I've learned about installing Knoppix to a hard drive is that something always seems to go wrong, as Knoppix was not designed for hard drive install).

bugsy
12-30-2004, 02:58 AM
ok mate no probs ,thanx anyway

A.O.Q.
12-30-2004, 06:35 AM
I was thinking of putting knoppix on my harddrive, but after reading this thread i am having second thoughts. can anybody who has done this/tried this give me an idea of wether or not i should give it a shot?

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 07:02 AM
... can anybody who has done this/tried this give me an idea of wether or not i should give it a shot?
Well, it's certainly been done, but will varying degrees of sucess. I just don't know and shouldn't speculate on what bugsy's particular problem is. I certainly don't recognize it. Much more common are things that seemed to work perfectly well when booting from CD that don't work at all or don't work right after a hard disk install (like networking). I would think you might want to read through the hdd forum (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5), although many of the problem threads end up in other forums too (like this one here or many network problems after hdd install in the networking forum). Another problem I see frequently is that things break after an update, apparently caused because Knoppix is a mix of at least three different versions of Debian (and maybe some other stuff too). I certainly wasn't telling Bugsy, you, or anyone else not to try this, but when I realized he was talking about a hard drive install I understood why it wasn't likely that I would recognize his problem.

Personally, I went with an install of Debain (sarge, I think). It's getting better but Knoppix is still far nicer in configuring things and looks a lot better after booting than Debain looks after an install on my system. But understand that Knoppix is first and foremost a Live CD. The scripts that have been made to help install it on hard drive always seems to have pesky little problems (sometimes just permissions set wrong), but they just don't seem to be getting fixed. Until I see reports of nice clean installs, I'm going to stick with releases intended for hdd install, like Debian.

CrashedAgain
12-30-2004, 05:40 PM
hiya im new to linux and have two pcs.ones a dual boot =windows xp pro and fedora core 3 and the other i want just for linux.ive tried putting debian and gentoo but keep getting problems so i thought id try knoppix.
ive partitioned my hard drive which is 10 gig and rebooted.it runs through the detection and get stuck at scanning for hard drive partitions and creating/etc/fstab....
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED :oops:

Have you actually done the HD install yet? If so, what 'style' of HD install did you do?...must have been a Knoppix style if it's trying to create fstab.
Or are you still running from CD? If so, did your Knoppix CD work OK before you created the new partition? Possibly Knoppix is having problems recognising the new partition if it hasn't been formatted yet; try formatting it.
It sounds like maybe this is a problem box, what sort of problems did you have trying to install gentoo & debian?
You shouldn't have to create partitions ahead of time to install Knoppix, the installer will do that for you.
Your boot problem: If you got to a knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ prompt you should be logged on in console mode, perhaps the problem is with trying to start X which is usually related to video graphics card setup. Try 'startx' or 'kdm' from the knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ prompt.

when i type it knoppix nodam at the boot prompt it runs untill it gets to scanning for hard drive partitions etc
when i type knoppix26 nodma at the boot prompt i get the window again

knoppix nodam is a misprint, should be knoppix nodma.

Harry Kuhman
12-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Your boot problem: If you got to a knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ prompt you should be logged on in console mode, perhaps the problem is with trying to start X which is usually related to video graphics card setup. .....
But he said now ive a coloured desktop screen with a window inside saying shell in the top left corner, doesn't that sound like X is already running, ratther than just being in a text mode shell?

bugsy
12-31-2004, 02:32 AM
before i partitioned my hdrive the install got stuck at scanning hdrives for partitions and creating etc/fstab.HARRY KUHMAN suggested a couple of ideas but they led me to a coloured background with a window inside,it was inside this window that i got the knoppix prompt...............any way ive reformatted my hdrive and put lindows back on for now....................untilli get somemore memory.....................thanx for all the advice

garyng
12-31-2004, 02:46 AM
Your boot problem: If you got to a knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ prompt you should be logged on in console mode, perhaps the problem is with trying to start X which is usually related to video graphics card setup. .....
But he said now ive a coloured desktop screen with a window inside saying shell in the top left corner, doesn't that sound like X is already running, ratther than just being in a text mode shell?

Sounds like X without desktop or window manager. Only xterm is started at the top left corner, not even border.

bugsy
12-31-2004, 03:26 AM
dont know,all im trying to do is find a o.s i like ,can use and learn on.i got 2 pc,one dual boot= windows xp pro+fedora core 3.the other pc i want just for linux but it isnt powerfull enough for fedora 3 so i want something that will work ok on it...[ at the minute i only found lindows will] as i keep coming up with problems.and where i live no one knows linux

GreyGeek
12-31-2004, 05:43 AM
I was thinking of putting knoppix on my harddrive, but after reading this thread i am having second thoughts. can anybody who has done this/tried this give me an idea of wether or not i should give it a shot?

I just replace the SUSE 9.0 install on this box with Knoppix 3.7 HD install. Went like a charm.!
I booted the CD. When KDE came up I opened a console and typed "sudo knoppix-installer" and hit enter.
An option dialog appeared and gave me three choices. I began by selecting the first choice (knoppix install) but backed out when I noticed it defaulted to ext3 as the filesystem. I then selected the 3rd option (Debian install) and at the appropriate place selected ReiserFS as my filesystem.
After that and a few other question it took 10-20 minutes to install, I don't remember exactly how long but it wasn't long.
After I rebooted and KDE appeared again I selected "Knoppix->Network/Internet->Internet Card configuration.
It asked me if I wanted DHCP. I entered yes and it configured DHCP.
Now that I had my cable modem connected I su'd to root then entered
agt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get autoclean
and when everything was done I entered
updatedb

If you want to see what other packages you can load then open KPackage and click on the "uninstalled" tab. Browse the files and click on what you like.
Click the "Install" button. A dialog will appear listinig the app you selected and all necessary dependencies. There is also a "test" checkbox showing.
Click it and then click install. (Some where around here you'll get asked for the root password).
If you see "Result=0" in the right panel then things are OK! Just uncheck "Test" and click "Install" again to actually install the app.
For something really interesting go out to the 'Klik" website and try out the cmg files.