PDA

View Full Version : USB disk mounting

Neno
12-30-2004, 01:27 AM
I have a problem.
I have an external usb disk and when I boot Knoppix there is no usb disk icon on desktop.
Can anyone help me in mounting it?

mmaki
12-30-2004, 04:08 AM
Try
sudo mount /dev/uba1 /mnt/test

nick666
12-30-2004, 07:52 AM
First, I was able to access my usb drives only on kernel 2.4.7. After boot no USB storage devices are visible.

sudo fdisk -l

displays only my HDD even if I have some USB disks plugged in.

If sudo fdisk -l is able to find some partitionson on /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, you probably do not need this. If not, try
sudo insmod ehci-hcd

After this fdisk actually can see partitions and I can just mount them normally.

Funny thing is that there seems to be some kind of daemon that creates mount points for usb drives plugged in (like /mnt/sda1, mnt/sdb1, and so on). But it does not mount them. So, to mount your drive you can just
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1. mount /mnt/sda1 might work too - I have not tried.

Hope that helps.

Neno
12-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Funny thing is that there seems to be some kind of daemon that creates mount points for usb drives plugged in (like /mnt/sda1, mnt/sdb1, and so on). But it does not mount them. So, to mount your drive you can just
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1. mount /mnt/sda1 might work too - I have not tried.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I will try this few comands. But, since I'm new in linux, I don't know exactly where to write these commands in. Can you give me just a tip?

Neno
12-31-2004, 12:29 AM

Hope that helps.

Ok, I will try this few comands. But, since I'm new in linux, I don't know exactly where to write these commands in. Can you give me just a tip?

Regard this :? , I figured out where to write it. But one main problem still remains: the name of my usb device, since with sda1 or sdb don't work. How and where could I get this information?

mmaki
12-31-2004, 05:58 AM
Did you try
sudo mount /dev/uba1 /mnt/test

Note the device name of uba1

I'm assuming this is an external IDE disk connected via USB...

georgmaass
01-02-2005, 01:22 PM
There is no /dev/uba1

How can I mount it?

Neno
01-04-2005, 09:15 PM
There is no /dev/uba1

How can I mount it?
True!! There is no uba1. I don't know what to do. Where can I find informations of devices names?

knxuser05
01-04-2005, 11:54 PM
There is no /dev/uba1

How can I mount it?
True!! There is no uba1. I don't know what to do. Where can I find informations of devices names?

Get root access
# su -

Try to load usb-storage driver
# modprobe usb-storage

Make sure it's loaded
# lsmod |grep usb

Look for sda, sdb, etc. in tail of dmesg output
# dmesg

If nothing similar appears I don't know further. If successfull, try fdisk -l /dev/sda (sdb, etc) or mount /dev/sda as recommended before.

I hope it helps

georgmaass
01-06-2005, 03:22 PM
With Kernel 2.4 the stick appears as sda with no partitions. WIth Kernel 2.6 it appears as uda.

The usb hard disk does not appear at all. Also Windows does not mount it does it try to format it. So I don't know how to use it.

rrfish72
01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Add the imm, ppa and usb mass storage modules with modconf. Then when these modules are loaded one of them should help the drive be recognized. imm and ppa are in the kernel/drivers/scsi section. To install them just highlight it and enter through. Must be root. usb mass storage is there somewhere, you'll have to look around. Try the first 2 then add other if they do not work.

eon
01-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I have a similar issue. I purchased a 256MB Cruzer Micro for under $20.00
I thought I could use it to transfer images from a old G3 Mac I have ( I've never gotten linux to read HFS+)

I was able to get the usb flash drive to mount but I couldn't write to it and then I would also get an error
" line 20 in ftab is bad" I deleted the line I made in fstab but does anyone know a quick how-to on usb flash drives?
Thanks

Update: I just found this how-to: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/post-147912.html
Haven't tried it yet.

I tried this how-to and it did not work i.e. I got the "bad superblock, bad fs, too many mounted FS error"
When I use usbdevfs as the file system the drive can be mounted and unmounted but I can not write to it.
I checked and chmod my permissions but no luck. the message is just can not write "file'/mnt/Cruzer.

eon
01-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Someone might take offense that I say this but I mounted this flash drive in suse with no problem.
I mean, no anything just stuck it in the usb port the machine beeped and 10 sec later
the device icon mounted to my desktop (read&write).
Knoppix has many great features I love it, and it has some failings too.

rrfish72
01-08-2005, 02:32 AM
According to the link above you have to edit the fstab with this entry:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0

To do this, login as root and edit with kate or kwrite. Open-->devices-->partition that is /-->etc-->fstab, just in case you can't find it. Add the line in the middle somewhere,I don't think it really matters.

create a directory:

mkdir /mnt/usbflash

Then I don't know if you have to create a device on your desktop, but try it and see what happens. Like adding a zip drive, you have to add pretty much this same stuff and add the imm module. Hope this helps.

eon
01-08-2005, 06:17 PM
According to the link above you have to edit the fstab with this entry:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0

To do this, login as root and edit with kate or kwrite. Open-->devices-->partition that is /-->etc-->fstab, just in case you can't find it. Add the line in the middle somewhere,I don't think it really matters.

create a directory:

mkdir /mnt/usbflash

Then I don't know if you have to create a device on your desktop, but try it and see what happens. Like adding a zip drive, you have to add pretty much this same stuff and add the imm module. Hope this helps.

I did all that, but thanks. Actually there is a thread here at the knoppix forum that comes to the conclusion ( I didn't bookmark it) that these Cruzer usb flash drives don't work in knoppix. BTW I have no problem editing fstab I have a digital camera that works fine.

OErjan
01-08-2005, 07:46 PM
have you tried to reformat it under knoppix? it "might" work, but it might also destroy it... it made my "noname" work under linux.

eon
01-08-2005, 08:28 PM
have you tried to reformat it under knoppix? it "might" work, but it might also destroy it... it made my "noname" work under linux.

Thanks for all the response this is a really supportive forum!

Even though this is a rather inexpensive flash drive I don't really want to risk trashing it.
As I mentioned above it mounts in suse without doing anything.
I do 90% of my work in knoppix and the other 10% falls to slackware & suse
plus I can access those other partitions in knoppix so that's how I'll leave it for now.

Thanks again

rgarden
01-11-2005, 05:17 AM
I'm running a Windows 2000 destop (Fat32) with the 3.7 CD wriiten to a fat32 folder (TOHD cheatcode). I boot from the Knoppix 3.7 CD as user "knoppix", with the FROMHD cheatcode ,and the boot switches to my windows drive (/dev/hda1) 10 seconds into the startup. I also have an old Seagate 4.3 GB drive conected via a USB 1.0 external enclosure. Knoppix sees that as /dev/sda when I boot up. I used QTParted to make two partitons on the USB drive, a 2.3GB linux partition to use as a persisten home directory, (/dev/sda1) and a 1gb Swap file (/dev/sda2). Provided I turn the power on for the drive, Knoppix sees both of them with no modification necessary. My suggestion is this: Connect you usb device, stick, drive, whatever, power it up if it needs external power, and then boot from the knoppix CD. When the KDE destop apears , look for /dev/sda1 on the destop. if it's not there, it probably isn't on the knoppix compatability list. I can see /dev/sda1 as a drive icon, but it was originally read only. I changed it to read write once, and it has stayed that way. /dev/sda2 isn't visible, but I see a line in the startup screen that confirms than Knoppix has mounted it. I've heard that as of Linix kernel 2.6, USB devices are notw being assigned /dev/USBx codes instead of sharing the SDAx with the scsi devices, but that doesn't seem to affect the Knoppix 3.7 boot CD . If the boot CD can't find it, I don't see how a HD install could . LIke Phil Jones's free guide "Knowing Knoppix" says , Not Everything Works. C'est la Vie !