PDA

View Full Version : Trying to create ISO image using EasyCD Creator

hankster
04-01-2003, 05:04 PM
I've created about a half-dozen coasters trying to create a bootable image using EasyCD Creator. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Select Bootable CD from the New Project menu
2. Select Hard Disk Emulation
3. From the CD Project Properties, I verify the image type is ISO
4. Burn the CD.

When it's finished, I get a CD with the following files:

- bootcat.bin (2048 bytes)
- bootimg.bin (734,001,152 bytes)

I've tried the CD in various PCs here (making sure Boot from CD is enabled) but when I reboot, the CD flashes momentarily, then nothing happens. So...

1. Am I doing something wrong in the burn process?
2. If so, what should I be doing?
3. Does EasyCD Creator have the ability to create the ISO image?

Thanks in advance!
Hank

garyng
04-01-2003, 06:07 PM
I don't think you need to select that many things. The ISO image is already a fully bootable image which you can tell it to burn(there should be an option).

Otherwise, you can try CDRWIN which can build at 1X with demo license but I found this to be an advantage in that the result is readable in a much wider range of CD-ROMs.

hankster
04-01-2003, 07:25 PM
I'm trying CDRWIN now. Not many options available.

Hank

hankster
04-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Obviously, I don't get it, because CDRWIN didn't burn the right kind of image either. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Hank

garyng
04-02-2003, 01:59 AM
In CDRWIN, you just select the option of burning from ISO9660 image and select the .ISO file you downloaded and everything should be fine(that is how I did it).

IoN_PuLse
04-02-2003, 02:04 AM
You should just be able to tell whichever program you use to burn from image file, there should be no specification of bootable or not because the ISO handles that.

aay
04-02-2003, 06:17 AM
If your cd writer is separate from the drive you boot knoppix with then you can use tools on knoppix (like k3b or command line cdrecord if you look up howto) to burn knoppix directly to your reader. Give it a try in k3b if this is your setup. I have been able to do this from the commandline and with gui tools like k3b.

hankster
04-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Ignore that cheese and whine from my previous posts. I went ahead and ordered the CD.

Hank

ptbarnett
04-02-2003, 05:39 PM
I've created about a half-dozen coasters trying to create a bootable image using EasyCD Creator.
I've used Easy CD Creator in the past to burn the Knoppix ISO onto a CD-R.

However, my first attempt to do so with 3.2 (3-28) has resulted in a corrupt disk. When I look at it with Windoze, I can see the apparently correct set of files in the "folders", but the files are corrupt.

MD5SUM is yielding the matching value, so the ISO file itself is not corrupt.

I'm currently downloading 3.2 (3-30), to see if it was an aberration. If it doesn't work, I'm going to hang on to my 3.1 Knoppix CD. Unfortunately, I deleted the archived 3.1 ISO file before I booted and confirmed the new one was good.

ptbarnett
04-02-2003, 05:46 PM
I probably should have described the process I'm using. It has worked in the past, although I'm not sure about now (I'm still downloading):

1. From menu, select File->Record CD from CD Image...
2. Change "Files of Type" dropdown menu from *.cif to *.iso
3. Navigate to and choose the ISO file you downloaded
4. Click "Open" button
5. Click "Start Recording" button

Try that, and see if the downloaded ISO works for you.

ptbarnett
04-02-2003, 06:22 PM
I'm currently downloading 3.2 (3-30), to see if it was an aberration.
Either something was wrong with 3.2 (3-28), or something went wrong during my earlier burn process.

3.2 (3-30) appears to be fine. I've booted it on a VIA C3 processor.

hankster
04-02-2003, 10:10 PM
ptbarnett,

Your advice worked great! Thanks for the help.

Hank

james33707
11-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Obviously, I don't get it, because CDRWIN didn't burn the right kind of image either. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Hank

Yeah try the Cheetah ISO Burner it is a free ISO CD Burning program. There is not much to it but it works and it's free. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and download it.
http://www.cheetahburner.com/

:D
James