PDA

View Full Version : How to mount/unmount a CD ROM?

anton123
12-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Hello,

I was wondering about how one mounts/unmounts a CD ROM... I tried from a console prompt to type as root: mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom but it does not work. I tried other combinations such as /dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 as well but without any success.
In MEPIS it was much easier, one just clicked on the icon and selected either Mount/Unmount. I am talking about the standard CD-rom[cdrom] icon on the desktop, not the icon that is displayed following the choice from Control Center/Behaviour/Device Icons/Show device icons (option). If I select that, it works but I can not eject the CD after having unmounted it. I am really lost here. What is the right way to mount/unmount a CD under Knoppix?

Thank you

rrfish72
12-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Symlink the device first by doing ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom and the delete the icon on your desktop and create a new one by right clicking and selecting create new device and then selecting the correct device (dev/cdrom(/cdrom)) and then you should be able to use the drive.

Cuddles
12-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Hello,

I was wondering about how one mounts/unmounts a CD ROM... I tried from a console prompt to type as root: mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom but it does not work. I tried other combinations such as /dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 as well but without any success.
In MEPIS it was much easier, one just clicked on the icon and selected either Mount/Unmount. I am talking about the standard CD-rom[cdrom] icon on the desktop, not the icon that is displayed following the choice from Control Center/Behaviour/Device Icons/Show device icons (option). If I select that, it works but I can not eject the CD after having unmounted it. I am really lost here. What is the right way to mount/unmount a CD under Knoppix?

Thank you

Chances are, the icon on your desktop is faulty, mine always were... You should be able to mount, and umount the cdrom by use of the Command Line, and after changing the icon on the desktop, through that icon as well...

to do it with the command line, you should only have to type in the following:
mount /dev/cdrom

the mount, and umount, commands use what is provided in your /etc/fstab file... you do not need to type out the "mount point", that is provided in the fstab file already... to un mount the cdrom you would just insert a "u" in front of your mount command, like so:
umount /dev/cdrom

If you cant mount the cdrom through the command line, it can either be that your fstab file has problems, or your symlinks that point /dev/cdrom to the actuall device are in error...

Try the command line again, both as root, and as your user, and maybe post back any error messages that it displays... If you can mount the cdrom through the command line, and not with the icon, then your icon needs to be changed...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

styven
01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I to have this problem and get the following error message..............

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
or too many mounted file systems
any ideas
steve

rgarden
01-11-2005, 05:44 AM
Phil Jones's free download "knowing Knoppix" really helped me out here. On page 48 he lists a command you can run as root from the root shell ( etc/init.d/autofs restart ) . basically, this unmounts all the file systems then remounts them , so close all your work before you do this. After that, the standard commands are mount and umount. I have trouble with the eject button not working, and the /etc command fixes that.

One weird situation I have is that th cd drive works fine for data files, and K3b burns cd's all day long, but most programs refuse to see .mp3 files or commercial music cd's If I left click on the dirve, it says "not mounted". Konqueror says there is nothing to see. The Cd audio program XMMS won't even open the CDrom location.
If, however, I go to VIdeo packages, and open XINE, I click on the CD button, and XINE sees the music CD's and the mp3's just fine . Go figure .

CrashedAgain
01-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Phil Jones's free download "knowing Knoppix" really helped me out here. On page 48 he lists a command you can run as root from the root shell ( etc/init.d/autofs restart ) . basically, this unmounts all the file systems then remounts them , so close all your work before you do this. After that, the standard commands are mount and umount. I have trouble with the eject button not working, and the /etc command fixes that.

One weird situation I have is that th cd drive works fine for data files, and K3b burns cd's all day long, but most programs refuse to see .mp3 files or commercial music cd's If I left click on the dirve, it says "not mounted". Konqueror says there is nothing to see. The Cd audio program XMMS won't even open the CDrom location.
If, however, I go to VIdeo packages, and open XINE, I click on the CD button, and XINE sees the music CD's and the mp3's just fine . Go figure .

Check xmms->options->preferences, make sure that the CD inout plugins & audioCD plugins are enabled. On my system the files on the CD will show up in /cdrom not not in /cdaudio or /mnt/auto/cdrom. My problem with xmms & cd's is that it sends the output to never-never land instead of making sounds....it seems to be playing just fine but no output if reading from CD. Output is through arts which works OK reading from files on HD.

Kaffeine works, so does Konqueror's AudioCD browser & sidebar media player.

rgarden
01-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Thanx Crashed;

I still can't get Konqueror to see an audio cd , and I have no Konqueror Audio Browser, even though I'm running V3.7, but I don't care any more. I googled over to Kaffeine to see what that was about . Kaffeine took me to Klik, and .... KLIK is FANTASTIC :o
Klik doesn;t even seem to intall on 3.7 , I just paste the url into Alt F2, and go out to the store . Pretty amazing to a newbie like me :roll:
Anyway , Kaffeine works fine, with a little button on the taskbar, Xine works fine as well, Kongueror is till a bust , but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I also have a problem with volume, but it sems to be in Kmixer. I have to have the Kmixer sound level pegged to the max or I get no sound at all. I guess Knoppix isn't thrilled with my soundcard. Try playing something with evey volume control you can find maxed out.
:wink:

Cuddles
01-13-2005, 05:35 PM
CrashedAgain
*** The only thing I can think of, about your no-sound-from-cdrom issue, is, is the audio cable connected from that cdrom to your sound card, or not? XMMS can read from the "data" cable, and does read from the audio cable. I had it working back when I was running Knoppix v3.4, I had two cdrom devices, and only one had the audio cable, but XMMS could play both devices. Another thought is, make sure all of your volume controls are working; you'll have one in the mixer, and one in your player; check that your player isnt going around your mixer, and that when you change your volume in the player, your mixer changes as well... My best guesses here...

RGarden
*** You can not view an audio cd, you can only play it... An audio cd is not formatted in ISO9660 format, and thus, you can not mount it. I havent tried this yet, but, I think if you have an audio cd with mixed text or data, is a hybrid format, and you might be able to mount and view that, but, I am not sure of this. If you put a data cd in your cdrom, you should be able to mount that perfectly though. As it stands right now, Linux can read data cd's, and only audio cd players can read audio cd's -=- this is the last thing I have heard, it may have changed with the newer versions of Knoppix / Debian / Linux, but, I dont think so...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

CrashedAgain
01-13-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't think my problem is a hardware connection issue, other apps such as Konqueror's sidebar media player can play from the CD just fine, only xmms has problems. It seems to be playing; the graphic symbol 'thingy' (love those hitech terms) looks like it is playing but the output is going ??? ie no sound from the speakers.

R Garden: apt-get kdemultimedia-kio-plugins (I think that is the correct package name, browse the applictions list with kapackge to be sure) to get the audiocd protocol for konqueror.

Shadda
01-13-2005, 11:48 PM
My big problem with my cdrom is that all the sudden i can't eject the tray if its mounted. It never used to do this. (I'm positive of that fact because i was transfering files like a mutha the first couple days i had knoppix installed)

There something i screwed up to enforce this rule? :P

CrashedAgain
01-14-2005, 03:31 AM
My big problem with my cdrom is that all the sudden i can't eject the tray if its mounted. It never used to do this. (I'm positive of that fact because i was transfering files like a mutha the first couple days i had knoppix installed)

There something i screwed up to enforce this rule? :P

You are using the 'eject' command from console, not just trying to manually open the drive, right? The drive door is locked if the device is mounted...at least it is on my system.

Shadda
01-14-2005, 04:14 AM
I used to just tap the button and it would work. And it's only been a day or two, so it's not like my memory is failing me :)

It's not that big of an inconvenience, just a minor annoyance.