PDA

View Full Version : How do I boot the 2.6 kernel from the 3.6 Live distro CD??!!

iD:0t
12-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Happy New Year all!

I have dabbled with Linux for a few hours at most in the past, but I've now decided to get stuck into it. What with Windows being, er, not that fabulous. Anyway.... I got the Knoppix 3.6 Live CD distro and it always boots into the 2.4.x kernel. I'd like to know if it's possible to boot with the 2.6 Kernel on this distro, and how you do it. I want to do this because I've heard that there are some issues with my wireless card under the 2.4 kernel, and other posts say that they've had more success with the 2.6 version. So how do i boot the 2.6 kernel from the boot screen the CD gives me? Eventually, once i see it all works, I'll install Knoppix onto my Hard drive proper. Can't you tell I'm a n00b, it's probably dead simple....

Thanks in advance. :oops:

UnderScore
12-31-2004, 05:11 AM
Sure, at this screen http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=167&slide=1 if you hit F2 or F3 it will give you cheat codes. To boot 2.6 kernel type the following & then hit enter:
knoppix26

j.drake
12-31-2004, 06:33 AM
I'd like to know if it's possible to boot with the 2.6 Kernel on this distro, and how you do it. I want to do this because I've heard that there are some issues with my wireless card under the 2.4 kernel, and other posts say that they've had more success with the 2.6 version.

FWIW, I strongly suspect that including both kernels in Knoppix is causing problems, particularly with wlan drivers. In my experience, it appeared that Knoppix was looking for the driver in the wrong place, and the error appeared to be caused by the effort to create two kernels. For this reason alone (as well as others), I would recommend a Knoppix derivative called Kanotix (www.kanotix.com). It standardizes on the 2.6 kernel, and certainly seems to have much fewer code errors. Also, the developers seem to participate more in eliminating these errors. To be fair, I don't use wireless very often, so I haven't tried it with Kanotix. However, I DO know that I never got it working with Knoppix.

jd

12-31-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks very much guys!

I'm sure I'll be back with some more easy problems in future.... :P

12-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks very much guys!

I'm sure I'll be back with some more easy problems in future.... :P

jMon54
02-15-2005, 04:55 PM
FWIW, I strongly suspect that including both kernels in Knoppix is causing problems, particularly with wlan drivers. In my experience, it appeared that Knoppix was looking for the driver in the wrong place, and the error appeared to be caused by the effort to create two kernels. For this reason alone (as well as others), I would recommend a Knoppix derivative called Kanotix (www.kanotix.com). It standardizes on the 2.6 kernel, and certainly seems to have much fewer code errors. Also, the developers seem to participate more in eliminating these errors. To be fair, I don't use wireless very often, so I haven't tried it with Kanotix. However, I DO know that I never got it working with Knoppix.

That was my experience too, but I never realized that the two kernels coexisting was the problem. In any case, Kanotix rocks!