PDA

View Full Version : Wlan problems yet again.

kevman
12-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Hello.

I just installed Knoppix to my HD, becuase Windows on that machine is driving me insane (garbled text, slower than dirt...)However, before I can use it as the computer's primary OS, I need to have a connection with my Wireless router downstairs established in Linux, so I can use our DSL.

The wireless NIC is a Pheobe Micro USB. It is based on the AT76c505 chipset with the RFMD radio. Explicit Linux drivers for it do not exist, so I dried the generic Atmel drivers.

The "alternate" drivers refuse to compile for me running 2.4 Kernel. However, it works under 2.6. But it does not "claim" the NIC when I plug it in.

I believe that the "official" Atmel drivers may work, but I don't know how to install the kernel sources. Linux, of course, has no Internet connection, but I can move 64 meg to it from another machine using a thumbdrive...

I also tried NDISwrapper, but it seems to do is copy the .inf file to /etc/ndiswrapper and nothing more.
Is there more do it than NDISwrapper -i /netc558.inf ?

If anyone can assist me, it would be greatly appreciated. I know I got it to work once, but I had to reinstall Linux...

ghaze
12-31-2004, 04:01 PM
After ndiswrapper -i
as root,from console
modprobe ndiswrapper
wlcardconfig
netcardconfig

Have Fun

kevman
12-31-2004, 05:55 PM
Eh, that's what I tried, and it didn't reconize the adapter. I'm going out right now to buy another one to try.

How do I install the kernel sources? Trying to compile the official Atmel sources results in hundreds of errors stemming for /usr/library... I don't know whats wrong. They will compile under 2.6, but a kernel patch is required, and patching requires the sources!

My head hurts... People wonder why Linux isn't more widespread.