PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix just a toy w/o real support

mgilley
12-31-2004, 02:45 AM
I would if I could, as I am not satisfied with certain proprietary software (which will not be named). but without actual support, Knoppix is just a curiosity. I will wait for the day when a real, viable alternative becomes available. :cry:

garyng
12-31-2004, 02:50 AM
I would if I could, as I am not satisfied with certain proprietary software (which will not be named). but without actual support, Knoppix is just a curiosity. I will wait for the day when a real, viable alternative becomes available. :cry:

What is actual support ? There are commercial linux distro too. Or you can try ubuntu that is definitely new kids in the block. With the much enhanced hardware detection(even found in newer debian), Knoppix is quickly returning back to its original use, quick boot live CD for rescue and the like, not a permanent desktop.

j.drake
12-31-2004, 06:24 AM

Depending upon how you define "real support", you may prefer Kanotix, a Knoppix derivative. On the one hand, the Knoppix community is much larger, and there are a lot more people to help you. On the other hand, the Kanotix developers appear to take more of a "hands-on" interest in helping users and developing the product to fit user needs (IMO). On a practical note, it seems as though both forums have many of the same participants.

jd

mgilley
12-31-2004, 10:20 AM
Here I am, in Knoppix! As long as I can get online, what could happen? So what if it takes half an hour to do it?I've even got an extra cdrom for when this one burns out!

But seriously, folks...I want to drop W-------- like the bad habit it is.Does anybody know why I can't boot xcept failsafe? I've tried every combo of cheats, no go.

BTW how to post output of lspci? :)