PDA

View Full Version : Klik compatibility...

Stealth870
12-31-2004, 03:29 PM
Update: klik should now work with the most recent versions of Gnome and Ubuntu.

First off, let me say that I think klik is amazing step forward in Linux user-firendliness, this program rocks! :D

Anyway, I wanted to know if klik was compatible with more distros than the ones mentioned on the site?

I'm pretty sure the distro must be Debian based. But it seems there's something about Knoppix that klik needs?

I tried running it in Ubuntu and DSL, and neither worked. But they're both based on Knoppix. I'm not sure when it appeared but I think it ask (during the wget attepmt) about some KDE file? Neither Ubuntu or DSL have KDE so I was just wondering if klik depended specifically on any KDE files?

bfree
12-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Damn Small Linux is strange, very strange! I tried using the ooo2 klik on it and had to tug and pull at a few things to get it close to working when it failed due to a lack of freetype (forget exact lib). Amongst my travels I discovered that while typing "firefox" at a command line would launch it, typing "which firefox" would return nothing. At that point I pretty much decided that dsl was too strange to spend much time on, it felt like I was working on Knoppix's linuxrc rather then a complete system.

Does klik depend on KDE? It shouldn't anymore (it should use kdialog|Xdialog|dialog and konqueror|firefox|elinks)! In my dsl explorations I came up with a couple more possible tweaks to the installer and other scripts to try and make it more robust but it probably should work (as long as your distro has the base packages assumed present by klik which is the lowest common denominator of the packages in all the supported distributions).

One thing is that there is a call in the installer for klik to kbuildsyscoca and if that fails it won't try and launch the klik store, but starting firefox, konqueror or elinks and going to klik.atekon.de should let you use klik.

If you can give some more details of what you are trying, when it fails and what errors it gives perhaps we can figure out where and why it is failing on ubuntu (i.e. is the installer failing to install, are recipies failing to build or the applications failing to run). Is this the ubuntu livecd or an installed system?

As far as I know the ooo2 cmg will actually run on a very wide range of systems (amongst other things it is built using ziso rather then cramfs so the cramfs tools/modules are not required)!

probono
01-09-2005, 06:01 PM
DSL has not many libraries installed, so the individual klik installations would become relatively large, and since DSL has its own system (My DSL), I didn't try to add DSL support to klik yet.

As for Ubuntu, I have no experience but I imagine it should be quite straightforward to get klik running there. The only catch would be that klik'd KDE apps would become very large (approx. 20 MB extra) because the KDE libs would have to be downloaded with each klik'd app. For this reason, I haven't yet tried to get klik running on Ubuntu, but as I said, it would probably be possible.

Greetings,
probono

probono
01-09-2005, 10:51 PM
I am using the Ubuntu Warty Live CD which is based on Morphix (great work Alextreme!) while I am typing this.

Hard to believe, but Ubuntu contains neither dialog nor Xdialog nor kdialog.

Here is a workaround to get klik work on Ubuntu anyway:

wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh
wget *****/dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb
dpkg -x dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb .
export PATH=./usr/bin/:$PATH

Then install an application on the command line with
~/.klik xvier

And finally run it with
~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/xvier.cmg

Of course, you can install not only xvier but other packages as well.

This is a workaround solution for Ubuntu Linux, but surely klik could be more nicely integrated if anyone is interested.

Greetings,
probono

Alextreme
01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Well, Ubuntu is trying their best to get rid of everything Morphix for their next release. Basterds, seems they don't love me anymore :-|

Anyway, would you mind doing a test with the new LightGUI 0.5-pre4 livecd from morphix.org? Surprised me that you got Ubuntu working as it doesn't have KDE libs, and the libraries in LightGUI will be the minimum for all of the major-morph's too come (and lots of derivatives start from Light). Anyway, I haven't been very uptodate on klik-matters, but would love to pitch in if I can get it working on Morphi's :-)

Stealth870
01-21-2005, 07:14 PM
probono, how can I workaround Ubuntu if

doesnt even work!? I install dialog and xdialog from apt-get, but this is what i get...

ubuntu:/home/stealth# wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh --13:02:52-- http://klik.atekon.de/client/install
=> `-'
Resolving klik.atekon.de... 134.169.172.48
Connecting to klik.atekon.de[134.169.172.48]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 11,383 [text/plain]

0% [ ] 0 --.--K/s sh: line 151: /root/.kde/share/services/klik.protocol: No such file or directory
find: /root/.mozilla/: No such file or directory
100%[====================================>] 11,383 1.79K/s ETA 00:00

13:02:59 (1.79 KB/s) - `-' saved [11383/11383]

sh: line 442: kbuildsycoca: command not found

bfree
01-21-2005, 07:29 PM
probono, how can I workaround Ubuntu if

doesnt even work!? I install dialog and xdialog from apt-get, but this is what i get...

sh: line 442: kbuildsycoca: command not found

Don't worry about that, it's a little bug in the install script but it's already done everything it needs to so you should be good to go!

Basically it does kbuildsyscoca && ndialog "You can now install, do you want to open the klik store" but instead it should just run kbuildsyscoca and then seperately do the ndialog so non=kde systems don't get hung up on a failed kbuildsyscoca.

So fire up (or restart) firefox or elinks and go to "klik.atekon.de" and you should be able to use klik.

probono
01-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Anyway, would you mind doing a test with the new LightGUI 0.5-pre4 livecd from morphix.org?

Alextreme, it would be great if you could do some testing in Morphix.

Greetings,
probono

bfree
01-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Anyway, would you mind doing a test with the new LightGUI 0.5-pre4 livecd from morphix.org?
Alextreme, it would be great if you could do some testing in Morphix.

Well I just did a quick check. The installer works fine from the command line except in bombs out failing to run kbuilsyscoca so it doesn't offer to open the klik "store".

Trying to use firefox to klik in an application failed. Seems like it was misdiagnosing the dialog type to use as I had to do "DIALOG=dialog ~/.klik xvier" to get it to actually get/install a program.

Next there's no cramfs support (I assume) so while it built a cmg it couldn't mount it?

So ultimately I just ran "/tmp/klik/xvier/wrapper" and xvier worked fine.

So it works ... just not very nicely ... yet :-)

probono
02-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I am using the Ubuntu Warty Live CD which is based on Morphix (great work Alextreme!) while I am typing this.

Hard to believe, but Ubuntu contains neither dialog nor Xdialog nor kdialog.

Here is a workaround to get klik work on Ubuntu anyway:

wget *****/dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb
dpkg -x dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb .
export DIALOG=dialog
export PATH=./usr/bin/:$PATH

Then install an application on the command line with
~/.klik xvier

And finally run it with
~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/xvier.cmg

Of course, you can install not only xvier but other packages as well.

This is a workaround solution for Ubuntu Linux, but surely klik could be more nicely integrated if anyone is interested.

Greetings,
probono

phxguy
04-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Help.

I did the sudo wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh command and it seems to have gone okay. Got a message afterwards that say it was successfull and i could run the software. now when i go to run something i get the following errors

phxguy@ubuntu:~$ ~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/xvier.cmg
ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or resource busy
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
/home/phxguy/.zAppRun: line 123: /mnt/app/1/wrapper: No such file or directory
umount: /mnt/app/1 is not mounted (according to mtab)

So how can I fix this and get it working?

Thanks

probono
04-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Please make sure that the file /etc/filesystems contains the following lines

cramfs
iso9660

Please post pack whether this solves the problem.

Greetings,
probono

phxguy
04-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Please make sure that the file /etc/filesystems contains the following lines

cramfs
iso9660

Please post pack whether this solves the problem.

Greetings,
probono

Im Using kubuntu Hoary 5.04 and i dont seem to have a filesystems file located there. I did a search for filesystems and the only one I found was located in /proc and it is 0 bytes
Besides that error I get the Error unable to mount /mnt/apps/1 :(

probono
04-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Simply create the file /etc/filesystems with the following two lines in it:
cramfs
iso9660

This file makes mount probe for the correct filesystem, otherwise cmg files cannot be mounted.

Thanks to Kano for hinting me towards this solution.

Greetings,
probono

phxguy
04-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Simply create the file /etc/filesystems with the following two lines in it:
cramfs
iso9660

This file makes mount probe for the correct filesystem, otherwise cmg files cannot be mounted.

Thanks to Kano for hinting me towards this solution.

Greetings,
probono

Unfortunately that isnīt working for me either. I created the file using kate and added those 2 lines. I then issued sudo mv filesystems /etc/ and rebooted my computer. tried to open nvu.cmg and i still get the error Unable to mount /mnt/apps/1

Oh yeah i also did sudo mount -a as well and no luck :(
Don know if this helps but here is the output of cat /etc/fstab

phxguy@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sde /media/usb0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sdf /media/usb1 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda1 /media/windows vfat umask=000,user,auto 0 0

/mnt/app/1/image /mnt/app/1 auto user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/mnt/app/2/image /mnt/app/2 auto user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/mnt/app/3/image /mnt/app/3 auto user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/mnt/app/4/image /mnt/app/4 auto user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/mnt/app/5/image /mnt/app/5 auto user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/mnt/app/6/image /mnt/app/6 auto user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
/mnt/app/7/image /mnt/app/7 auto user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0

phxguy
04-19-2005, 05:35 AM
here is my latest results trying to run something from a terminal.

phxguy@ubuntu:~$ ~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/xvier.cmg
mount: could not find any free loop device
/home/phxguy/.zAppRun: line 123: /mnt/app/1/wrapper: No such file or directory
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/mtab
umount: only root can unmount /mnt/app/1/image from /mnt/app/1
phxguy@ubuntu:~$

and this is the error as su:

root@ubuntu:/home/phxguy # ~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/xvier.cmg
bash: /root/.zAppRun: No such file or directory
root@ubuntu:/home/phxguy #

probono
04-19-2005, 08:22 AM
You could try mounting it by hand:

su
mkdir /mnt/test
mount /home/knoppix/Desktop/nvu.cmg /mnt/test -o loop -t cramfs

/mnt/test/wrapper

Does that work?

phxguy
04-19-2005, 08:32 AM
mount /home/knoppix/Desktop/nvu.cmg /mnt/test -o loop -t cramfs
I get this error:
root@ubuntu:/home/phxguy # mount /home/phxguy/Desktop/nvu.cmg /mnt/test -o loop -t cramfs
mount: could not find any free loop device

/mnt/test/wrapper

then of course this gives an error:
bash: /mnt/test/wrapper: No such file or directory

probono
04-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Does mounting by hand still fail after a reboot?

phxguy
04-19-2005, 08:35 PM

here is what happened this time. I have rebooted my system before doing this.

root@ubuntu:/home/phxguy # mount /home/phxguy/Desktop/nvu.cmg /mnt/test -o loop -t cramfs
root@ubuntu:/home/phxguy # /mnt/test/wrapper
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
(nvu-bin:9904): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I then did it as non su and issued the following:

phxguy@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /home/phxguy/Desktop/nvu.cmg /mnt/test -o loop -t cramfs
Password: **********
phxguy@ubuntu:~$ /mnt/test/wrapper

and it worked!!! however i then closed nvu and tried to click on the icon and i still got the Ļunable to mount /mnt/app/1 error
Hopes this helps..

bfree
04-20-2005, 06:05 PM

here is what happened this time. I have rebooted my system before doing this.

root@ubuntu:/home/phxguy # /mnt/test/wrapper
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
(nvu-bin:9904): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I then did it as non su and issued the following:

phxguy@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /home/phxguy/Desktop/nvu.cmg /mnt/test -o loop -t cramfs
Password: **********
phxguy@ubuntu:~$ /mnt/test/wrapper

and it worked!!! however i then closed nvu and tried to click on the icon and i still got the Ļunable to mount /mnt/app/1 error
Hopes this helps..
Well all I can say is that it sounds like your system can't detect cramfs to mount it automatically. To confirm this repat the working mount above but without using "-t cramfs". The wrapper script expects this to work (and this allows different detectable filesystems to be used).

phxguy
04-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Well all I can say is that it sounds like your system can't detect cramfs to mount it automatically. To confirm this repat the working mount above but without using "-t cramfs". The wrapper script expects this to work (and this allows different detectable filesystems to be used).

It would seem like you are correct in that ubuntu is able to figure out the filesystem automatically as stated below:

phxguy@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /home/phxguy/Desktop/nvu.cmg /mnt/test -o loop
Password:
ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or resource busy
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

is there anyway to make ubuntu autodetect the filesystem?

bfree
04-20-2005, 07:25 PM
is there anyway to make ubuntu autodetect the filesystem?
It may be easier to edit your fstab to use cramfs. So "/mnt/app/1/image /mnt/app/1 cramfs user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0". I think that everything uses cramfs now, but obviously if things change (or you have existing .cmg files of another format) this problem would come back.