PDA

View Full Version : Sound card detection?

donkthemagicllama
04-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Knoppix seems to determine that my USB WebCam (Logitech 3000 something or other) as my sound card. I also have an SB Live, which is the proper card.

If I remove the USB WebCam, all is well. Is there any way to get Knoppix to detect the proper hardware without disconnecting the WebCam, possibly some cheat code?

Thanks!

Henk Poley
04-01-2003, 06:01 PM
I've got the same problem. Unsure how to fix. I know it worked in 3.1, so they probably changed the order in which the devices are probed,

rickenbacherus
04-02-2003, 01:41 AM
IRQ conflicts perhaps. Try reassigning IRQ's in BIOS.

Henk Poley
04-02-2003, 07:13 AM
IRQ conflicts perhaps. Try reassigning IRQ's in BIOS.
Uhm, I don't think so. USB vs. PCI shouldn't have conflicting IRQs. At least, my soundcard is detected on boot even when the webcam is plugged in. It's just not used. So both my USB OHCI and my souncard work (from the same IRQ btw). Pluging in the webcam after boot gives you a fully functional soundcard and webcam.

Knoppix 3.1 worked just fine, so there must be a problem with the 3.2 config scripts. It works under windows too. I think I'll check out the remastering howto to see where the knoppix scripts are stored and how to acces them. I might find out what's wrong.

btw, if someone would want to try the IRQ reassigning. Modern (> PII and athlons) hardware is so filled with built-in hardware that has an IRQ for it's own, that most of the time the only thing you can do to free up and IRQ is disabling APM. This isn't bad, since PCI hardware should have an identification number of it's own so the OS can distinguish between multiple cards on the same IRQ channel.

Early PCI hardware didn't send an id-nr. Since it was mostly tested on harware with *loads* of spare IRQs this didn't show up. But since USB and APM and probably some more 'new' stuff also take an IRQ by design it's getting quite sparse with this room.

Fenix_999
08-02-2003, 01:18 PM
I have the same problem, but I have a Logitech 4000 Pro and a AC97 onbord sound card