PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.6 - 3.7 Questions

beforewisdom
12-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi;

I have Knoppix 3.6 and I am thinking about reinstalling with 3.7.

Knoppix 3.6 has the kde 3.3.1 which has bug such that the kdm does not present a menu of the alternate desktops/window managers. That and some things are missing from the control center.

I also noticed that the sound on my haugepauge card did not get set up.

Are these issues resolved with a newer version of the KDE in Knoppix 3.7?

I just thought I would look before I consider doing the work of upgrading.

Thanks

Steve

ewangr
01-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Steve,
Can you let us know which Hauppauge card you have? That might make it easier to answer the question :D

When you say sound isn't setup on it - since they mainly make TV Capture cards I assume you're saying that the sound capture isn't working? Have you tried the Alsa "cheatcode" to see if that helps?

FWIW,
Ewan

---

Yes, I have a blog (http://a1.blogspot.com). Deal with it :wink:

beforewisdom
01-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Steve,
Can you let us know which Hauppauge card you have? That might make it easier to answer the question :D

Well, one of the other bugs I mentioned is that the KDE control center will not tell you what your devices have so I ran a "lspci -vv" to get this form TV/Radio card. I get visual on the tv card, but no sound. I can play music CDs fine.

02:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 32 (4000ns min, 10000ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 9
Region 0: Memory at f47fe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

Have you tried the Alsa "cheatcode" to see if that helps?

Knoppix is installed on my hard drive so I don't think I can do much with cheatcodes, but thanks for the idea.

beforewisdom
01-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Well, I resolved the haugpauge card issue.

Is there a way to resovle the KDE 3.31 foobar short of downloading 70 megs of kde upgrade ( I'm on dial up)