PDA

View Full Version : hard drive install problems

Phishman
01-01-2005, 05:53 AM
i'm having some trouble installing knoppix 3.6 to my hard drive. This is a new system without an OS installed, this was my first system build, and my first attempt at using knoppix. I built the system and everything went well. I can boot knoppix from the CD but once i get in and hit "Ctrl+Alt+F1" i type one of 3 prompts to hopefully install it onto the hard drive. "knx2hd" "knoppix-installer" "ignore_check=1 sudo knoppix installer". none of them work. When i try any of them, and hit OK twice and select "Partition", i always get the same message. "Opened disk read only- you have no permisision to write". So i hit ENTER and the next message reads "Fatal Error: Cannot read disk drive press any key to exit cfdisk". I dont know the problem.

Incase its important, if i try to boot normally (without an OS) it reads "NTLDR is missing" and tells me to restart my computer. I dont know if this is substantial.

Please Help.

shah
01-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Try create partitiomn using knoppix cd first.

So i hit ENTER and the next message reads "Fatal Error: Cannot read disk drive press any key to exit cfdisk". I dont know the problem
The above error occurs when you try run cfdisk in user mode.
Probably the hardisk is already partitioned, make sure you unmount all the partition first.

Lets do the installation step by step ( if you want knoppix to be the only OS in that hdd):
1) Boot knoppix cd......until you represented with KDE .
2) Click konsole at the left bottom of taskbar ( tv icon )
3) Type these command in that konsole:
su **you will get something like: root@ttyp4[knoppix]# **meaning now you are root.
cfdisk

**cfdisk menu will appear. Create partiton of your choice. Knoppix needs 2 partition : 1) Linux swap(82) = 250-500MB 2) Linux partition(83) = the rest of free space . Flag linux partition to Bootable. Then Write ....and quit from cfdisk.
4) Still in root, type : knoppix-installer **just follow instruction**

:D

Phishman
01-03-2005, 03:05 AM
Well i would like to also eventually dual boot knoppix with XP. But just knoppix for now. I tried doing what the above post said, and had no luck. The same problems occured and the same "Faltal Error:Cannot read disk drive press any key to exit cfdisk" occured and never did let me into a cfdisk menue. Please help.

shah
01-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Try:
su
fdisk -l

See if linux partition already created. See what partition is your linux and swap are located.
The output is something like this:
ex:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 1132 9092601 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 1132 1165 257165+ 82 Linux swap

Than run:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1
swapoff /dev/hda2
mkswap /dev/hda2

Proceed with : knoppix-installer

Or create partition using other tools; ex: partition magic

:D

fashions
01-04-2005, 04:10 AM
have had problems today as well. "Error: Formatting of failed. Some messages from mkfs.ext3: usage: mkfs.ext3[-ci -ti -l filename ......" ??????? wouldn't install.

each time i attempted to use cont alt F1 for install at least 5 times, kept getting error on install. when i would get to root this way. it was without X and the command line grey boxes, (knoppix installer v 0.3-14) installer wouldn't negotiate like it should. arrgggg.

when i used the desktop terminal window and su then typed knoppix-installer ... bam the gui installer came up with mouse selection and i am installing now at a fast rate.

8 hrs after my install crashed because of sticker gunk on the cd live media from my cd drive???

i am now installed!!!, quicker then i could type this note. D O N E ! ya hoo.(':P')
my machine is waiting. c ya.

hope this helps some one from spending all day like me.

fashions

now to work on getting 2.4.xxsmp kernel installed. this is what got me it trouble the first time though the install.

P2 dual 400, 512 ram, hpcdrw, jazz, zip, single boot to knoppix

malaga
11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Hello everybody, I'm from Poland so please don't expect my english to be very good...

I'm having a problem with installing Knoppix. When I'm trying to run qtparted - I have this:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8479/snapshot1ys4.th.png (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot1ys4.png)

And the problem is that I have only hda6 on my desktop, I formatted my HDD with Partition Magic and it shows, just like fdisk -l, that there are 3 partitions - one is with filesystem ext 3, one is a swap partition and one is free. Of course the "linux" one is bootable. So how it is possible that I see something completely different in qtparted...?... The other thing is that qtparted still sees the devices as mounted. When I want to unmount them [using a traditional way, just by clicking "unmount" the device on the desktop, it isn't possible because it sees it as an unmounted already, and when I type a special command in the terminal is says "no such file or directory"...

when I'm trying to run this:

mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1
swapoff /dev/hda2
mkswap /dev/hda2

in fdisk, is says that it is not possible.

All in all - I need your help...