PDA

View Full Version : Live CD for Java Developers ?

rcs
01-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Any remastered Knoppix or live CDs that include (1) a Java SDK [not just JRE, not gcc] and (2) a Java IDE like Eclipse and maybe even (3) Tomcat ? STUX (http://gpstudio.com/stux) is supposed to include a real SDK, but it's hardware detection doesn't seem to get along with my machines so I can't get any time with it.

Thanks !
rcs

Bodhi
01-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Here's the ultimate Live CD for anyone doing java programming:
http://moe.tnc.edu.tw/~kendrew/pollix/

rcs
01-03-2005, 02:35 AM
Whoa -- that has got to be the best tip I've received all year ! Seriously though, this is exactly what I was hoping for and more (like WAY more!). I really, really appreciate the post -- you ROCK !!! Thank you so much !

Regards,
rcs

Bodhi
01-03-2005, 04:36 AM
You're welcome. Yeah, Pollix saved my butt last semester. I was taking Programming II and I used Pollix on a couple of PC's at work to do my homework. The PC's ran Windows XP and I didn't have administrator rights so I could install Java on the PC's. The Pollix Distro and a simple reboot saved the day.

mekros
01-07-2005, 03:07 AM
nice bodhi... ive been trying to get my hand on a live cd dedicated to programming... :D

Bodhi
01-07-2005, 10:08 AM
:D Pollix Rocks! Like I said it saved my a$$ last semester.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-28-2005, 08:07 PM
How is this CD distributed. I was thinking of making my own remaster like this but found that the java jdk is not covered under the GNU public license and is not considered open source.

Regards,
AJG

Bodhi
01-28-2005, 10:59 PM
It is freely distributed at the link above. I believe that it is located on a server outside of the USA. I don't question wether it is legal or not I just use it. As you have pointed out anyone could build their own distro with Java SDK if they wanted to, Pollix saves everyone the trouble of creating their own. That way people have more time to use Java instead of struggling to create their distro.