PDA

View Full Version : amazed

Yeti
04-01-2003, 08:07 PM
I am a Linux newbie and Knoppix is thee first flavor of Linux I have ever ran (or seen running) I am figuring stuff out slowly but surely and I have since installed an old version of Caldera on my home box.

The whole Knoppix program is absolutly amazing. I can't belive that it works on so many different systems with out any major problems. I carry the cd with me and pop it into any computer I see.

The one thing that truly suprised me was that it reckonized my generic USB/10 100 Ethernet adapter. No windows program had drivers for it. I can connect to the Internet on my laptop now.

3 things I want to figure out/learn how to do (remember I've never even seen a running Linux box before)

1) Save my Knoppix preferences to a floppy so I don't have to change/restet them every time I boot.
2) Browse my home network using SAMBA (i'm clueless)
3) Is there a "task manager" Somthing that shows Processer useage, memory useage etc. Also that lets me Kill processes. I have an older P2 Celeron 366 laptop with 128 MB of RAM. Is there any task/processes that I can kill so that the machine runs a little faster?

Linux is cool.

MattT
04-01-2003, 11:55 PM
1)Are you running 3.1 or 3.2? 3.2 has persistent-home and a configuration saver on it. Just go to KNOPPIX on the application starter and you'll find them. Persistent-home means that applications preferences and data are saved on your hard drive. This can go anywhere even on a DOS partition. The configuration saver will put information about networking and hardware setup on a floppy. Both programs are fairly self expalnitory.

2)Don't know anything about SAMBA myself. Hope someone else can help here.

3)The GUI way:
System > KDE System Guard
and then click on Process Table

The shell way:
ps -A
each process has a number so then use
kill ###

Wirf
04-03-2003, 01:12 PM
2) Browse my home network using SAMBA (i'm clueless)

There are a number of options here.

1) Use Konqueror; type smb://computername/share in the adresbar
2) Use LinNeighborhood not all Knoppix versions have this program, but i think it is nice
3) Do it the old-skool way on the command line:
"smbclient -L computername" lists the shares on a computer
"smbmount //computername/share/ ~/mnt/mountpoint" mounts a share on ~/mnt/mountpoint (you have to make that directory first)

There are probably some other options as well, but these are the options I personally use.

Linux is cool.
Very much so :D