PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question... Sorry

knokoutned
01-02-2005, 02:02 AM
I know this is really lame of me, but i have tried to find info on this subject but i have failed:

I have Sony Vaio NV190
XP Professional
Service Pack 2
Pentium 4
256 MB of RAM

I downloaded Knoppix 3.7 iso file from knopper.net
i then burned the iso file to a CD
i am now stuck with a CD that i have absolutely NO idea how to boot.
I thought it would be a simple as restarting my computer allowing it to boot, but that didnt do anything

Again, i know this is a really Newb thing to ask about, but if anyone could please help me or direct me to help that would be great.

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2005, 02:47 AM
i then burned the iso file to a CD
i am now stuck with a CD that i have absolutely NO idea how to boot.
If you have a CD with one big ISO file on it (as seen when you look at the CD in Windows), then you have a CD that is not bootable. You need to burn the iso file "as an image". Here's a link that might help. (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ) If not please post back what burning software you are using and someone can help you. If Nero be sure to give the version number, and if it's Nero 6 rather than 6 let us know if you have the "Nero for Dummies" interface or the Nero 5 like interface.

I also urge you to burn the next CD at a slow speed (like 4x), and if you have a 700 meg. CDRW use that (to avoid waste until you know the steps).

knokoutned
01-02-2005, 04:48 AM
The burning program i used is Easy DVD CD Burner.
I did burn the iso as an image and not just on the cd.
What burner should i use to burn the image and how?

Just for clarification purposes: how do you boot the CD, should simply restarting the computer with the CD work?

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2005, 04:58 AM
The burning program i used is Easy DVD CD Burner.
I did burn the iso as an image and not just on the cd.
What burner should i use to burn the image and how?

Just for clarification purposes: how do you boot the CD, should simply restarting the computer with the CD work?
I'm not sure about your program, but if as you say you burnt it as an image you should be in good shape. Another test is to look at the CD under Windows and see that there is an entire directory structure there, not one large iso.

As to how to boot, you just reboot the computer, but the BIOS should be set to boot from CD before from the hard disk. If you have an old system (like from the dark ages in the 20th century), you may need to use a boot manager like XOSL or Smart Boot Manager to boot a CD if the option does not show in your BIOS. And several people here who couldn't get their CD's to boot finally did get a CD to boot after they were convinced to burn the CD at a slow speed (I recommend 4x) rather than as fast as their drive will burn.

knokoutned
01-02-2005, 05:02 AM
ok, thanks alot.

I think i might have messed up the burning process, can you reccomend a good (preferably free) that i could use to re-burn the ISO

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2005, 05:13 AM
ok, thanks alot.

I think i might have messed up the burning process, can you reccomend a good (preferably free) that i could use to re-burn the ISO

There's a burner in Knoppix, but that's kind of a chicken and egg thing .....

Nero (http://www.nero.com/us/index.html) used to let you download it and use it as a free trial for some period of time (I think 30 days). I'm not certain but I think that's still the case. I believe it makes entries in the registery (maybe elsewhere) to enforce the trial period. There very well could be other free Windows tools, but none come to mind. Perhaps someone else will make a suggestion.

I'm not clear on why you say I think i might have messed up the burning process. Do you have reason to think that something went wrong when you burned it with your software? Most good burning software can burn an iso image, but you don't just copy it to the CD (the common rookie mistake). Why do you think your burn isn't good? Also worth mentioning, did you check the md5 sum of the iso file that you downloaded? This is very important, particularly if you downloaded by HTTP or FTP rather than by Bittorrent. At least half of the knoppix ISO files I've downloaded have been corrupt. If you can't be bothered to learn how to check the md5 sum then you're likely going to waste a lot of time and no burning software will help you. And if you just can't be bothered to take this simple step, then maybe Linux isn't for you anyway.

firebyrd10
01-02-2005, 05:19 AM
I've used Roxio and I know it does have a "burn image" option.

I think its under the file menu. Try searching the Help file.

knokoutned
01-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks you all so much.
I have succesfully booted Knoppix and it's running great.

Now i have run into another problem: How do i configure it to see my wireless internet?
I want to connect to the internet and my only means is through wi-fi.
My laptop has a built-in wireless reciever (card) that i am currently using, and for backup i have a Lyksys Wireless USB Network adapter. How can i get this to work?

sci_fi
01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi,

I am pretty much a newb as well, but this URL to another thread in the Knoppix Networking forum got me over the hump for wireless on Knoppix. It works!!!!! A good place to start.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14206