PDA

View Full Version : knoppix wont boot from lilo

ed9598
01-02-2005, 02:09 AM
I an new to Linux and knoppix.
I have XP on C: that is formatted NTFS, a logical drive d: that is fat32 and a Linux swap partition and a Linux partition.
When I first installed Knoppix, my d: disappeared in XP.
After a little research, I discovered it was because I had drive d: as a primary partition.
I ended up copying the data to my Linux partition and deleting d: .
I made a new logical drive d: and made it smaller.
I used a program call Driveworks to move the leftover space to my Linux partition.
I not really familiar with Qpartd and for some reason it wont open when I'm in knoppix, unless I boot from the CD.
After the partition creation and resizing, knoppix won't boot and I had to boot from the CD to move my data back to the new d: drive which works great.
I think i need to edit Lilo now to let it know how I changed the partition data, but I don't know how to edit in Linux.
Any help would be appreciated. :?

bfree
01-02-2005, 02:18 AM
You will want to edit the file /etc/lilo.conf, the easiest way is probably just to press ctrl+F2 (to run a command) and enter "sudo kate /etc/lilo.conf" which will open the file in the kate text editor (the sudo bit means you'll have permission to save the file). Then when you have made saved your changes do Ctrl+F2 again and this time run "sudo lilo" which will update lilo to use the new config. Hope that helps.