PDA

View Full Version : can you help me?please

cpc
01-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Hello i have a question. I have a 4gig hd i want to install knoppix on it with out booting from cd. how can i? my computer wont boot from cd and SB wont work right it wont boot anything ecept for the hd. i really need to install knoppix 3.6 on it. thanks.]

Spec's
100 mhz
64mb ram
4gig hd

Thanks,cpc.:)

BTW i also can take the hd out and put it in my good computer and install it that way if the cd to the hd if i can then put it back it the other comp. and tell it to just boot from hd and it boots knoppix. plz help me someone. thanks again, cpc. 8)

Alterscape
01-02-2005, 03:57 AM
Try the boot from ISO method (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based_HowTo) perhaps? That'll at least get Knoppix booted, from there you can run a traditional install if you like. Just be warned that you probably shouldn't format the partition that the image is sitting on while it's running. ^^[/url]

cpc
01-02-2005, 06:12 PM
thanks ill try that but still want to know how to install the whole 2.5gigs so i can install stuff and saves files and such. please help.

Thanks,cpc.:)

bfree
01-02-2005, 07:49 PM
What is the problem exactly? You should be able to boot from cd and install as normal? The only things is that you will need to partition the disk and get both swap and enough space to install Knoppix (around 2G). If you don't have a cd drive but you can get the iso onto the machine, you can boot from the iso as described and install from there, you will still have to have a swap partition and you will also need to arrange your partitions so that you can leave the partition with the iso on it alone during install (so perhaps install to hda1 a 3G partition, have hda2 as a 750M partition with just the iso on it, and then hda3 as the rest of the disk for swap). After you have installed you could use qtparted to remove the extra iso partition and resize the other 2 partitions to take up the space howver you like. If you have an existing OS you want to keep on the drive already space is going to become a real issue! Finally as hard disk space is obviously an issue, you could run knoppix from iso and try using klik to add more software that you need. It has it's pro's (easy to "install" a new version of Knoppix just dl the iso and set up the boot loader, read-only operating system so it can't be messed up) and con's (no real apt, overhead of running from a compressed loop, a very few apps don't work with klik ... yet) but it's relevance here is low disk space requirements (700M instead of 2G for the OS, though of course you can strip the 2G of any unneccessary extra software after you install it).