PDA

View Full Version : Why do user's.....?

TRow
01-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Why do user's Dual Boot WindowsXP and Knoppix 3.7(or a variant like Overclockix 3.7)?

I would like to do so, but need some advice from user's on why and under what circumstances?

Can you use both at the same time?

Is it more for secure surfing under linux code?

Please and Thanks.
T.RoW

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Why do user's Dual Boot WindowsXP and Knoppix 3.7(or a variant like Overclockix 3.7)?

I would like to do so, but need some advice from user's on why and under what circumstances?
Almost anyone who has used a Knoppix CD can dual boot, Knoppix when they stick in the CD, the native OS (likely some form of Windows) when they don't. But dual boot in the way you use it tends to refer to two or more operating systems installed on the hard drives. There are many reasons why people want to install Linux systems to their hard drive. Some users install Knoppix to their hard drive because they like the way Knoppix is easy to set up and the way it comes configured, but it really was designed as a "Live CD" and doesn't always work quite right when installed to a hard disk, so others of us install Debian but work with Knoppix from the CD.

As to why dual boot, sometimes some people just need to use windows, to work with certain software that they need for business, or to play a game that's only available under Windows, or for many other reasons. So dual booting gives you a way to quickly switch the computer between multiple OSs.

Can you use both at the same time?
Well, someone posted something in one of the forums in the last few days that showed Knoppix running under windows. But I have doubts how well it works. I guess if you have a real need to do this then you can try, but most people just run one OS at at time (or they run multiple computers, sometimes with a KVM switch to a single keyboard, monitor and mouse).

Is it more for secure surfing under linux code?
More secure than what? Than running Windows? Heck, it's more secure to walk down dark alleys in New York City carrying shopping bags full of money than surfing with windows. But if you have a good hardware firewall (in a cable/DSL router) and decent a software firewall (not the one that Microsoft provides), then it's pretty safe to surf under Windows as long as you use something like Firefox rather than IE, and you don't do anything really stupid (like download and run EXE files from unknown sources). But yes, there are less viruses and trojans that attack Linux systems than attack Windows systems.

TRow
01-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, I guess theres nothing I really need that I cant run Live. I mainly use knoppix to pull Files off corrupted HDD's, and for diagnostics. I can always: knoppix toram

The thing that gets me the most is the hardware detection, and how easily Kernel 2.6 detected ALL of my components on a fairly beefy Rig. Knoppix26 - even detected my Nostromo N52 USB device, didn't detect the V.card model...but spit out some ATi looking figures.

Im torn on what to do, it wont add value in my situation. Im only using 1 partition and use the machine for Heavy gaming. Thanks again,

T.RoW

My System:
P4 3.2 @3 .2 :D
Intel 875P
GiG pc3200 DDR
ATi X800XTPE
Audigy 2

bfree
01-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Personally I think it is very useful to have some kind of poor mans install setup to dual boot, one that you know works with your hardware (and you can even setup a config script for networking etc if you need it). Then anytime you need to you can boot into your Linux system without having to find a cd, if nothing else it's great for when you have problems with your windows install and need to do something you can do with Knoppix, like send an email or burn a cd, fast (or figure out if it's your isp or your windows which is having problems). I like (but I'm biased) the new Kanotix fromiso option, so you can keep the Kanotix iso around (including on ntfs) to burn it for anyone and you can also boot it up like a poor mans install, you can do the same with Knoppix though you will need a modified initrd. Coupled with a copy of grub added to your windows boot loader you can have a poor mans install on ntfs without impacting on your windows install, imho a far better and more useful rescue system then "safe mode" or booting from your windows install disc. It's also easy to add new versions of K*ix (just add an extra stanza to grub identical to before except for changing the cheatcode which tells it which iso to boot).

TRow
01-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Knoppix as a utility partition would make sense, especially for testing, etc. Things like Captive NTFS, and the many pitfalls involved with setting up a proper partition; Sounds like I may be over my head a bit.

T.RoW